Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermal Defense Solutions Bantam II Suppressor

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thermal Defense Solutions Bantam II Suppressor

I waited a long time to order this as it sounded too good to be true, but $700 fell into my lap the other day and I took it to be a sign. 3d Printed (actually "selective laser melted") inconel designed by the literal rocket scientists at Oak Ridge National Labs? Giving hearing safe performance with a full auto rating and almost no backpressure out of a can smaller and lighter than most 22LR suppressors? Yeah right, I thought.

But the can came in today, and I got a very quick conjugal visit after filling out the Form 4. Short version: it really is all that. I shot 5 shots of 55gr ammo out of a 12.5" barrel at a 10 yd berm from a covered shooting position with no ear protection, and was fine. No ear ringing or wincing at all. Read that again - that's crazy.

When shooting it against my 30 cal can I honestly couldn't tell a difference in the field. It was only when I played back the video with an immediate back-to-back comparison that I could tell a difference. The first round out of each sounds the same - but subsequent rounds through the 30 cal can (after the O2 was burned out of the can) were noticeably quieter (I would HOPE SO!!!).

But the Bantam has only 40% of the weight of the 30 cal can, and 34% of the volume. Zero first round pop with sound, but there was a flash for that first shot - just burning out the O2. Subsequent shots had no flash. And the rounds in the mag afterward looked just like rounds after shooting unsuppressed - which is definitely NOT the case with the 30 cal conventional can.

Here's a visual comparison:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    And an earmuff cam and iPhone are about the WORST things you can use to try to share the sound of a suppressor, but it's what I have. And I wished there were more videos and reviews of this can before I bought, so I'm adding one more for that reason:

More info on the company here: https://thermaldefenseinc.com/

I bought mine from MSTN (https://mstn.biz/product/thermal-def...ii-suppressor/) and had it shipped to my Class 3 dealer. MSTN was GREAT to deal with. Comms and shipping were fast and correct/complete. And when FedEx tried it's best to lose/delay the shipment, MSTN jumped right on it and had it sorted out in no time.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Would be far better if it was compatible with 1.375x24" threads.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Would be far better if it was compatible with 1.375x24" threads.
    Why? Direct thread is the lightest and simplest way to mount this, and this can is really meant to be installed and left there - not swapped around all the time.

And 1.375" is bigger than the OD of the can. :-)

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt in TN View Post
    Why? Direct thread is the lightest and simplest way to mount this, and this can is really meant to be installed and left there - not swapped around all the time.

And 1.375" is bigger than the OD of the can. :-)
    Because I don’t feel like grabbing an 800° suppressor to verify its tight when shooting a heavy COF under NV.

Direct thread is fine for low volume shooting on a square range. I suppose you could rockset it on but then you have to deal with that BS every time you want to clean it (or break it down for travel).

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Edit.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Because I don’t feel like grabbing an 800° suppressor to verify its tight when shooting a heavy COF under NV.

Direct thread is fine for low volume shooting on a square range. I suppose you could rockset it on but then you have to deal with that BS every time you want to clean it (or break it down for travel).
    This is 100% fact. Direct thread is a great static range choice or on a bolt gun. No real place is a hight volume world.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    if ultra-light-weight is a major goal, then DT is the way to go.

OP: thanks for review. you're right, there are far too few to help a potential buyer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Doubletap - sorry.
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 04-03-21 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had another conjugal visit with the Bantam II today. This time I was accuracy testing and checking to see how much POI shift it had vs. unsuppressed. The answer is: not much. A little less than 1 MOA shift downward from my unsuppressed 12.3" barrel. Accuracy improved suppressed, but it's likely that was just random noise. If I shot more groups of each they'd probably equal out - but it definitely did not get LESS accurate with the suppressor on. For the record, this is with a 4x scope and a pistol lower.

Unsuppressed (77gr SMK, 100yds):

Suppressed (77gr SMK, 100yds). I probably should have put them at the same zoom level, but pay attention to the 1 MOA squares or the calculated group size for comparison:

Totally happy! 5-12 more months of wait time to go :-(
    Last edited by Matt in TN; 04-03-21 at 16:17.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast