Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermal Defense Solutions Bantam II Suppressor

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    The TDS suppressor we are talking about is inconel, weighs 8oz, is 1.2"x5", and full auto rated not really sure what weight savings are being eaten up?
    It's also the size of a typical rimfire can. A small one at that.

ETA: The current version on their site is 3.8" for the 8oz model. They do have another model that's a little bit longer, but it's 12oz for the same diameter. They're also not saying what barrel length is required to achieve hearing safe.
    Last edited by okie; 04-09-21 at 14:29.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Okie, have you ever actually seen the inside of any of these cans?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Okie, have you ever actually seen the inside of any of these cans?
    I've seen sections of the TDS and Delta P offerings, and an xray rendering of the new plastic one.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I've seen sections of the TDS and Delta P offerings, and an xray rendering of the new plastic one.
    Have you owned or shot any of them?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    My point is that the designs would be rather difficult to produce without DMLS. The “can within a can” design you mentioned.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My point is that the designs would be rather difficult to produce without DMLS. The “can within a can” design you mentioned.
    Not at all. Additive design removes a few challenges, but presents many more of its own. I’m not saying you could cnc those cans exactly, but there’s also no reason to. A conventional silencer based on the same design principles would be cheaper, lighter, and as or more durable. Whether welded or modular, it would have a titanium body and a stainless blast baffle, or inconel if you wanted to be fancy. Like I said, can in a can type silencers are even available as form 1 kits now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The TDS can is entirely constructed out of inconel. If it would be cheaper and more durable to machine from Stainless steel and titanium where are they? Point me towards an 8oz can that is hearing safe with MK262. There is no scenario where a titanium can will ever be more durable than one solid piece of fused and hardened inconel. You keep making authoritative claims that are just factually untrue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    The TDS can is entirely constructed out of inconel. If it would be cheaper and more durable to machine from Stainless steel and titanium where are they? Point me towards an 8oz can that is hearing safe with MK262. There is no scenario where a titanium can will ever be more durable than one solid piece of fused and hardened inconel. You keep making authoritative claims that are just factually untrue.
    I said as or more because I was speaking broadly about additive cans in general. Some cans are or were offered in both ti and inconel options.

My point is that a conventional can will be mostly ti with a few stainless baffles and maybe one from inconel.

As for those cans actually being hearing safe, I haven’t seen any proof of that yet. With those dimensions, I am extremely skeptical to say the least. Anything is hearing safe with a long enough barrel and the right ammunition.

As far as it being 8 oz, that’s because it’s tiny by 223 standards. It’s even small by 22 standards. Were it a conventional ti tube with blast baffles it would be about 30% lighter. And cheaper too.

As far as my qualifications I’m a draftsman whose job is almost 100% drafting for additive manufacturing applications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    What form 1 kit are you talking about that is like these cans?
    RLTW

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What form 1 kit are you talking about that is like these cans?
    There are at least several I'm aware of, and probably dozens I'm not. Quell is the one people rave about.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast