Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TARA Aerospace TM-9X (9mm)

Feedback Score

TARA Aerospace TM-9X (9mm)

Palmetto State Armory had these on clearance so I bought one out of curiosity. These are made in Montenegro and are that country's first modern handgun design (as near as I can tell). This particular one is the Gen 2 or Gen 3 (again, hard to find out any solid information). The early production guns came with two mags and a cleaning kit, but these newer ones have substituted a third mag (17 rounds) for the cleaning kit, which is fine with me.

TARA advertises that the TM-9 has been assigned NSN 1005-77-000-0001. If I'm deciphering the NSN correctly, it looks like the first small arm from Montenegro to be assigned an NSN.

I'm ammo challenged so won't be able to shoot this for a while, but it appears to be well made and finished.

Data sheet, which looks to show the first generation model:

https://www.tara-aerospace.com/datas...sheet_TM-9.pdf

Last edited by Slater; 03-06-21 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good luck and enjoy! And buy more mags when you can!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any updates at all? We’re you able to find if another mag fits and functions?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Haven't tried any different mags, but I'll give that a shot pretty soon.

UPDATE: HK P30 and Glock 17 mags don't fit. Beretta 15 rounders lock into place but stick out the bottom around 1/2 inch. Have to wait until I get some ammo to see if they actually feed OK.
    Last edited by Slater; 04-26-21 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    That spec sheet is quite interesting in one respect. The gun has two completely different trigger modes available, and the user can change between them. Assuming the user has the extra part to replace the trigger bar.

Isn't the country now called North Montenegro (Northern?) due to a legal settlement with Greece? Greece already had a province or state or shire or whatever, called Montenegro, before Yugoslavia came apart in the 1990s. There was argument on who actually could be called Montenegro.

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    You may be thinking of North Macedonia. Montenegro split with it's union with Serbia some years ago.

In fact, North Macedonia is in the market for some Strykers recently:

https://www.dsca.mil/sites/default/f...onia_21-22.pdf
    Last edited by Slater; 04-30-21 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reminds me of the Caracal pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I'm ammo challenged so won't be able to shoot this for a while, but it appears to be well made and finished.
    Send it to me and I'll shoot it for free. You won't even have to pay me for the ammo. I'll even video it for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Reminds me of the Caracal pistol.
    Wilhelm Bubits, an Austrian, designed the Caracal. He did not design the TM-9X, but he does know who did, and I think he may have worked on the Caracal project as well.

In any case, the designer of the TM-9X (and hence the TM-9 and Schmeisser SLP-9) was Austrian.

I have a TM-9, and a TM-9X on the way. Saw this thread wile searching some info.

Feedback Score
    There's been some question whether this gun is still in production or has been discontinued. TARA's website isn't much help on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast