Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local gun store had .380 124gr (!) ammo in stock

Feedback Score

Local gun store had .380 124gr (!) ammo in stock

WTF? Yes, you read it right---124gr .380ACP ammo

The brand is called "Ammo Incorporated", has a black box with silver lettering. https://ammoinc.com/ (this caliber/weight combo is not on their website though)

It was $170 for 250rds. I asked the guy working there if that could perhaps be a misprint on the bullet weight. He was like "Huh?" and walked over to look at the boxes. He kind of raised his eyebrows and said "Well yeah, I guess that's right". The label said 825fps. So it definitely wasn't a label mistakenly put on from a 9mm version.

Granted, "normal" .380 ammo in the 90-100gr category run about 900fps or thereabouts. Not sure what barrel length they tested it out of either, as 825fps (which is REALLY heavy for a .380) must have been obtained from a big gun like the Cheetah or such. No, it wasn't +P.

A Remington 102gr Golden Saber runs in the upper 700's in a Ruger LCP from chrono results I've seen online. Jeez, that 124r has to be in the 600's from an LCP. A pellet rifle might be faster!!!

Anyone ever hear of loading a .380 with a 124gr bullet?
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-06-21 at 18:45.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I've never heard of "factory" ammo loaded that way, but it sounds like "Ammo Inc." isn't really "factory."

My first pistol (in 1995) was a SIG P230. My vague sense of terminal performance is that FMJ is as good as JHP because the .380 lacks the oomph to both (1) expand a hollow point, and (2) penetrate 12".

So, maybe 124gr FMJs in a .380 would work as well as the "normal" 90gr loads, in terms of penetration.

I do have some 115s lying around, and I don't load 9mm, so I had thought of putting them in .380...

Feedback Score
    They also had 9mm 115gr FMJ at $120 for 200rds (same brand). Although I'm okay on 9mm I thought "Oh what the hell" and bought the 9mm ones.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Although I'm okay on 9mm I thought "Oh what the hell" and bought the 9mm ones.
    The panic wins when otherwise smart people do stuff like that...

60˘/round for no-name reloads? Really

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    The panic wins when otherwise smart people do stuff like that...

60˘/round for no-name reloads? Really
    Yep, guilty as charged. Want to shoot my Scorpion today and for some nagging reason it bothered me to break into what I already have. As the weather gets nicer I'm sure that'll wear off as I'll be shooting more often than I have all winter long.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With the ammunition shortages I am seeing all kinds of odd caliber/bullet weight combinations along with unknown brands at my LGS. I stopped in on Friday to see what they had in .45 and noticed a bunch of boxes on the shelf- and since they have always kept reasonable prices I got a little excited and walked over to see what it was. I cannot remember the brand name but it was .45 ACP loaded with a 78 grain copper bullet. Eh, I didn't buy any of it.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    for some nagging reason it bothered me to break into what I already have.
    But you have what you already have in order to avoid getting raped. Unless you think the poops about to hit the fan, use your stash. The money you save can be used to buy more ammo later!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I've never heard of "factory" ammo loaded that way, but it sounds like "Ammo Inc." isn't really "factory."

My first pistol (in 1995) was a SIG P230. My vague sense of terminal performance is that FMJ is as good as JHP because the .380 lacks the oomph to both (1) expand a hollow point, and (2) penetrate 12".

So, maybe 124gr FMJs in a .380 would work as well as the "normal" 90gr loads, in terms of penetration.

I do have some 115s lying around, and I don't load 9mm, so I had thought of putting them in .380...
    https://ammoinc.com/

They actually make their own brass, and focus on specialty ammo (e.g. cleaner subsonic, tracers etc). Publicly traded under $POWW if you want to go read a 10K:
    https://ammoinc.com/investor-relations/

Feedback Score
    That's the company that's in the process of purchasing GunBroker.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Extra long bullet in an already low capacity case?

Hope for no upward deviations in charge weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast