Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Local gun store had .380 124gr (!) ammo in stock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    That's the company that's in the process of purchasing GunBroker.
    Interesting.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    When it comes to .380 Hornady XTP is the bullet you seek, the only classic HP that functions reliably and reaches 12” of penetration in ballistic gel.

It’s what I keep my little 1st Gen Ruger LCP loaded with. Fiochi makes a load with the XTP bullet as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldArmy01 View Post
    When it comes to .380 Hornady XTP is the bullet you seek, the only classic HP that functions reliably and reaches 12” of penetration in ballistic gel.

It’s what I keep my little 1st Gen Ruger LCP loaded with. Fiochi makes a load with the XTP bullet as well.
    I dont think they will expand at all from the short barreled LCP. Doesn't make it a bad choice as a blunt-nose though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I dont think they will expand at all from the short barreled LCP. Doesn't make it a bad choice as a blunt-nose though.
    I’ll have to test a few, but all the tests I have seen online it’s one of the only .380 loads that consistently expands reliably and meets the fbi 12” depth requirement. I don’t have any gel, but I have a trash can full of water. I’ll post a thread on the results when I test it.

Feedback Score
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwCXXpEP50

Probably the ONLY Hornady handgun bullet I would use. Consistent (albeit minimal) expansion and adequate penetration. Specifically the Precision One loading. Hey, it's .380 after all......
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwCXXpEP50

Probably the ONLY Hornady handgun bullet I would use. Consistent (albeit minimal) expansion and adequate penetration. Specifically the Precision One loading. Hey, it's .380 after all......
    That's not bad.

I've read clear gel can show deeper penetration than the "proper" media under circumstances but right now I forget what those are.

I'd like to see a test of the Underwood ammo with the same bullet. I chronographed their load 5 shots from a Beretta Cheetah 3.8 in barrel. They felt hot and gave 1202, 1188, 1161, 1207, and 1173 fps.

Unfortunately, 3 rounds went nose high upon feeding. I'm not sure why. The OAL did seem a little short? Factory type recoil spring in good health.

The gun had never malfunctioned before this ammo in thousands of rounds of .32 and hundreds of .380.

I carry a Beretta M81FS in .32 / 7.65 mm. Chambered load is the Buffalo Bore 75 gr HCLFP I I chronographed at @975 fps. I like this load but OAL is a little short and I think prone to rim lock so the rest of the mags are loaded with a 73 gr FMJ that averages @1015 fps. Both recoil much less than any .380 loads I've fire from the same gun.

If that Underwood load fed right I'd probably carry that.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-14-21 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    That's not bad.

I've read clear gel can show deeper penetration than the "proper" media under circumstances but right now I forget what those are.
    He uses regular ballistic gel for his tests, not the clear stuff. His tests are pretty thorough and well documented. Even the denim he uses is to "spec".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    He uses regular ballistic gel for his tests, not the clear stuff. His tests are pretty thorough and well documented. Even the denim he uses is to "spec".
    That's cool, I need to watch his other tests, then.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I hate that he stopped doing testing, his tests and tnoutdoors were some of the better test videos out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12