Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 7x57mm Mauser cartridge

Feedback Score

The 7x57mm Mauser cartridge

This is one of those rounds that I've never paid much attention to, and never realized there was so much history behind it. Seems that it would be a militarily useful round today, in some respects.

"What's Made The 7mm Mauser Such A Success:

Mild to shoot, nearly any rifleman could master a gun chambered for the cartridge.

Can be loaded with long, heavy-for-caliber bullets with high sectional density giving it excellent penetration potential.

Proven inherently accurate in battle and on the hunt.

Has been used successfully on all game, from varmints all the way up to elephants."

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammu...X7uLNf8HZysnII
    Last edited by Slater; 03-07-21 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 7x57mm Mauser cartridge

I’ve been interested in it for a long time. If I stumbled across a nice rifle chambered it it, I don’t think I could resist.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I purchased a stone mint 1908 Brazilian 30 years ago when 7x57 was cheap as dirt, great cartridge and great rifle, have it still.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mauser was a genius when it came to rifles cartridges. They pretty much produced a .308 50 years ahead of us in the form of the 7.65 Argentine.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only other cartridge with an equal reputation in my opinion is the .303 British. Killed men and beasts in every corner of the Globe where men and beasts are found.

"Vertrou in God en die Mauser!"
    Last edited by Esq.; 03-08-21 at 12:17.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    It's modern version, the 7mm-08, is a popular hunting round for some of the same reason- low recoil and accuracy. Being a true short-action cartridge, bullet selection usually excludes the long, deeply penetrating 175 grain types so use is usually limited to deer-sized game. With the right bullet, though, larger game such as elk have been cleanly taken.

That said for the 7x57 can also be said for the 6.5x55 and 6.5x54. Both very well balanced and efficient cartridges proven in various hunting and military roles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Mauser was a genius when it came to rifles cartridges. They pretty much produced a .308 50 years ahead of us in the form of the 7.65 Argentine.
    7x57 and 7.65 Belgian/Argentine are both fantastic. I absolutely love shooting them both. I’ve owned both 1909 and 1908 long rifles chambered in both. I also had a 1909 Argentine engineers carbine in 7.65 that would make a k98 blush. The Chilean Ordeny Patria 1935 carbine in 7x57 were the finest rifles ever produced by Mauser Oberndorf and are still in ceremonial use to this day.

Sadly, I no longer have any of these 4 rifles.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just ran across these posts on the 7x57 , interesting !
    https://survivalblog.com/2021/03/05/...tunnel-rabbit/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    Just ran across these posts on the 7x57 , interesting !
    https://survivalblog.com/2021/03/05/...tunnel-rabbit/
    I love Rawles, but his playing around with "Pre 98" firearms as some kind of hedge against confiscation is silly. If they confiscate guns- they are going to grab up anything that shoots and some silly legalism saying, "It's not really a gun because its not federally regulated because it's really old" isn't going to work. They will grab up BB guns when the time comes.....half of the folks doing the confiscating won't know the difference anyway.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    I love my 7mm Mausers. Recently gave one to my son. It's a Brazilian brought home from Italy after WII by his grandpa's uncle. The one I kept is a Spanish Mauser that has the barrel cut to 18", right in front of the barrel band, and fitted with a Leupold scout scope transforming it into a mannlicher looking scout rifle. Can't wait to get it back. It's at the gunsmith right now with a stripped screw hole in the scope mount. He also has my Swedish Mauser. (6.5x55) I bought a diopter sight for it. Can't stand the flat blade style rear sights...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-08-21 at 21:09.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast