Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to replace this gas key?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Do I need to replace this gas key?

I picked up a Sionics NP3 bcg second hand and the gas key has minor damage around the gas tube interface. Do I need to replace the gas key or is it not a big deal? I checked it on my upper and it closes and didn't appear to get caught up on anything.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does it go fully into battery? Put it in the rifle and try it out. Shoot it. If you have no malfunction then you probably don’t need to worry.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yikes, must have landed just right on a very hard surface.
    If it was mine I would replace it, or at least try to bend it back to normal, for peace of mind.

Mark

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The fourth law is that a dropped carrier will land on its gas key just as sure as toast lands butter side down. It's a very common problem that can be fixed. If it's not hanging up there's no reason to worry about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What will happen is that your gas tube will start getting eaten away very slowly at the contact point. Too slow to notice most likely, but by the time you do notice, you will be swapping out your tube and key.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This is why BCGs with integral gas key are some stupid shit. One of the things IG had his classes do was to strip down the BCG and install the carrier only and run it back and forth with your pinky finger to feel how the key was engagng the gas tube, it should be super smooth with no hang-ups, I'd bet performing that test you'd feel it. I'd replace the key, the screws with some OCKS and stake it with a MOACKS.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah it might work for a while but I agree, best to replace it.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Replacement is not necessary.

HOWEVER -

It should be repaired:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Replacement is not necessary.

HOWEVER -

It should be repaired:

That's what I'd do.