Thread: AR70 anybody got one? Any cool tips? I just drunk bought one on gunbroker

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

AR70 anybody got one? Any cool tips? I just drunk bought one on gunbroker

Hey guys,

Just picked up an AR70 for the collection (don't ask how much I paid, classic Greg +Rum+gunbroker Friday night).

Any good tips? SHonestly, I really am just going to look at it and maybe fire a few rounds just to say I did. Anything to look out for? Any parts to look for? Cool lore? I know this is an uncommon piece so maybe there isn't much known out there.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I don't have one but I'd like to get one. I definitely should have bought one (and an FNC) when they were significantly less expensive. I did buy an AR70/90 parts kit in the hopes that someone like Marcolmar might make receivers. I'd love to see some pictures.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I don't have one but I'd like to get one. I definitely should have bought one (and an FNC) when they were significantly less expensive. I did buy an AR70/90 parts kit in the hopes that someone like Marcolmar might make receivers. I'd love to see some pictures.
    I remember Birmingham Pistol Parlor had NIB FNC’s listed for less than $500.00.

A Colt AR-15A2 was priced more.

Feedback Score
    If I knew in the '80's what I know now, my collection would be so much better.

Feedback Score
    I am a bit late to this topic, but I will contribute. I have owned 2 AR-70s. The first I owned back in the 1980's and one that I currently own. I always thought it was an interesting rifle, well engineered and built. Beretta was working with SIG in the late 60's on the design of a 5.56mm rifle and they ended up parting ways over the type of action used (Beretta went with a rotating bolt, SIG went roller lock at the time) but the Beretta AR-70 and early SIG 530 share many design features. I do like the feel, they handle and point naturally for me. As for spare parts, a firing pin and extractor, if you can find them.

Accessories are rare as hens teeth, 30 and 10 round magazines, sling, manual, the Beretta cleaning tool and factory cleaning kit and the blank adapter. The are some AR-70 bayonets available even though the commercial AR-70 has the lug shaved off. Beretta did offer a scope mount, but I have only seen one in 35 years and it was available only with a rifle that was for sale. B-Square also offered a pretty decent scope mount back in the day, sometimes you will see them for sale on gbroker or ebay.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fortunately I have 10 and 30 round mags. I have a reprint manual but no cleaning tool or kits. I would LOVE to find a scope mount but...yeah. That being said, it is such a joy to shoot with irons. It is basically like a sports model of the SIG 550 with a better trigger and lighter weight and feel. Fantastic gun.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Greg, where are the obligatory pictures?

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Here is one with its Belgian cousin. https://flic.kr/p/2m2wmFq

Christopher Columbus