Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR in a box

Feedback Score

AR in a box

A number of years ago I joined M4C looking for some info on what AR to buy. I ended up getting a complete upper and lower from BCM. After burning quite a bit of time going down the different M4C rabbit holes, I decided I wanted to build my own AR. I began buying parts and tools here and there and soon I had a box full of goodies. Well, before I could get building, we moved and the box was carefully packed up. Once everything was unpacked, the box moved into the closet where it sat for a couple years. The GF riots lit a fire under my butt, pun intended, to add another AR to the inventory. I can't really say why I picked all the parts that I did because it's been too long since I bought them, however, I love the AR platform and adding an 18" along with my BCM 16" just means its imperative I add a 10" soon.

Grey Ghost Precision Stripped lower
    CMMG lower parts kit
    Geissele G2S 2 stage trigger
    Daniel Defense Enhanced pistol grip
    BCM QD End Plate
    B5 collapsible stock
    Mil-spec buffer tube and spring kit - Brownells
    BCM stripped upper
    Aero Precision upper parts kit
    Original bolt carrier group was Brownells M16 Nickel Boron - The bolt assembly was out of spec when testing head space.
    -Replaced with PSA Prem Nickel Boron bolt carrier group
    BCMGunfighter charging handle mod 3
    Faxon 18" Gunner 5.56 barrel
    Vltor flash hider
    Midwest Industries low profile gas block
    Faxon 15" aluminum M-Lock hand rail
    Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24 and mount
    Mbus flip sights - not pictured

Some unintended consequences of waiting too long to build after buying the parts; not being able to return something if it doesn't work and trying to find parts during a season of panic when parts are now hard to find.

The bolt assembly was a bit frustrating, not only because I couldn't return the product, but because finding a replacement was very difficult. I had to settle on a PSA when I would have rather gone with something like BCM. The stock was another secondary choice. Each of these components will be replaced at a later date. Otherwise, I didn't encounter any issues putting everything together.

I'll update when I get it out on the range to shoot, hopefully in the next week or two.

Just want to say thanks for all the people who contribute to the knowledge on this forum.

AR Build.jpg
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Work harder. Millions on welfare are depending on you.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
    George S. Patton

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Feedback Score
    It looks really nice. You still got a quality BCG from PSA as the one you have is made by toolcraft as are a few others sold by PSA.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice build.
    I agree with the above. The PSA/Toolcraft NiB BCG is a great choice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very nice build. Good parts list. Have you shot it yet? Curious how the Faxon barrel shoots.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Have you actually contacted Brownells about the bolt? They have a lifetime guarantee on everything they sell. They will replace/refund even YEARS later if the item breaks or was originally defective. I'd call/email them.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Toolcraft.......two thumbs up

Feedback Score
    Great look ! !
    Smiling at your build and mine.....we have some components.

How did it shoot?!?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Curious how the Faxon barrel shoots.
    Ditto. The 20" gunner I had (now my brother's) was an easy MOA or better at 100 yards/meters.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Installed a nickel boron from psa in 2018 when they were on sale for 89.00. Not sure if it was TC. They have multiple vendors and manufacturers. Gun jammed after the first round each time. After 6 attempts or so, I swapped it with a very basic PSA phosphate bcg from another gun. Both worked great and continue to do so. Believe it was extractor related and perhaps that tolerance-stacking deal.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

AR in a box

Quote Originally Posted by bamashooter View Post
    Installed a nickel boron from psa in 2018 when they were on sale for 89.00. Not sure if it was TC. They have multiple vendors and manufacturers. Gun jammed after the first round each time. After 6 attempts or so, I swapped it with a very basic PSA phosphate bcg from another gun. Both worked great and continue to do so. Believe it was extractor related and perhaps that tolerance-stacking deal.
    I’m running two Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCGs (bought in 2020-2021 from PSA) with no issues.
    Yours could have been PSA ones. They sell their own BCGs too. Or the new ones are better.
    Last edited by 202; 06-04-21 at 09:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast