Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good non tacticial branded 223 remington self defense loads

Feedback Score

good non tacticial branded 223 remington self defense loads

At first I went for man m4 carbine as my next target/fun Shooting and self defense rifle. Due to some supply Problems I decided to go with something more modern instead and ordered a Ruger Mini 14. It should be with in 1 to 2 month If I am lucky.

Now I need some advice to pick some decent self defense loads. The tactical branded stuff is very hard to find in Austria if I can get it at all. So noTAP or some similar for me now.

I would be possible to get some hornady v-max in different bullet weights, the Winchester ppu (was mentioned quite favourable in the self defense context If I am not mistaking). It also possible to get some no new jhp and soft Point rounds.

Some heavy jhp match type rounds in the 75 grain would also be available. These rounds are also quite famous in some Military loadings like mk 262 and mk318 if I am not mistaking again.

Are there somel general non tactical branded rounds more preferable over some others when beeing used in .18.50 Barrel rifle ore can't I go wrong with any of them.

Would be pleased Hearing some opinions.

Thanks for the help in Advance.

Greetings from Austria
    Last edited by iceman0085; 03-08-21 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Federal Fusion if it’s available, a hunting version of GoldDot.

Other bonded or expanding solid copper hunting designs are great but often quite expensive.

Heavier match loads are a pretty decent option.

V-Max and other tipped or soft point should be avoided, it is designed for squirrel size game hunting.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    V-Max is a varmint bullet, in other words, it is designed to expand explosively upon impact. I wouldn't rely on them to penetrate effectively enough for self defense. Hunting ammo loaded with sold copper hollow points like Barnes TSX and the like would be much better if available.

Heavy match hollow points would be a very good choice as well. The MK262 is loaded with the 77 grain Sierra Matchking, fyi

Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot for the quick replies.

@Todd.K Haven't cosidered them yet but yeah premium hunting rounds like the federal fusion in the 62 grain load would be available.

I am not absolute sure anymore but I think I have also seen some loads with the barnes copper bullet like gunnerblue mentioned.

The heavy match bulles should be around as well. I have seen some PPU loads in 69 grain and 75 grain.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Just curious and not to criticize, why do you consider the Mini 14 to be a more modern platform than the M4?

Also, yes, Federal Fusion is excellent ammo. It performs well on deer-sized game and should do the same on two-legged predators.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Just curious and not to criticize, why do you consider the Mini 14 to be a more modern platform than the M4?

Also, yes, Federal Fusion is excellent ammo. It performs well on deer-sized game and should do the same on two-legged predators.
    He stated his reason for going this route with his second sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman0085 View Post
    At first I went for man m4 carbine as my next target/fun Shooting and self defense rifle. Due to some supply Problems I decided to go with something more modern instead and ordered a Ruger Mini 14.
    I'm not sure how a weapon reduced in size based on a 1920's design qualifies as "more modern", the AR-10 was designed in the late '50's.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 03-09-21 at 11:50.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    As others have said, the federal fusion 62gr soft point is an excellent choice. If it can be found, the federal fusion MSR is the exact same thing except it is loaded slightly faster, and has crimped primers for reliability in semi autos. The federal trophy boded bear claw or trophy bonded tip are both good options, both in 62grs. Federal also has a lower cost Power Shok line, and they have a very good 62gr soft point 223 load. I know you have taken about federal being available near you, so that is a good option, it is very common. For winchester ammo there are several loads, like the 64gr Deer season XP, and the 64gr powermax bonded. The power max bonded is a popular round for US law enforcement, it is just sold under the ranger line. Winchester also has the 64gr power core and power point loadings, both are good choices. The 75gr PPU match is a decent option, but the velocity is a little slow with the current production lots. With the longer 18.5 inch barrel you want to use heavier bullets such as 62, 64, 75, or 77 grains, as lighter bullets may be too fast, causing them to fragment too much, causing under penetration. Are civilians allowed to own "military" ammo such as mk262, mk318, or m193?

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the typo. I meant m1 carbine no m4😢. The m4 ist not even available in Austria. I hope it is more clear now why I called the mini 14 more modern. Thx for the further information. Eda not sure if we can ger the military loadings never have seen mk 318 or mk262. 55 grain ball is widely available not sure thoug h if they are different from the m193 . I will look into that matter and also check out the avaibility of the mk 318 and 262
    Last edited by iceman0085; 03-10-21 at 03:53.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast