Thread: Sling for Samson / original Mini-14 Folding Stock?

Feedback Score

Sling for Samson / original Mini-14 Folding Stock?

What's a good way to set up a two point sling on a Mini-14 with original / Ruger style folding stock?

I haven't installed my new stock yet but appears to be top-notch quality. No sling swivel on it though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don’t have any first hand knowledge of these at all, but in looking at pics of folding stock Mini-14s/AC-556s there is a rear sling swivel present, but I haven’t found a photo clear enough yet to determine exactly what is going on or how it it mounted to the gun. It looks like it might be integrated into the hardware for the folding mechanism somehow though, but again I haven’t found a decent close-up yet.

I would assume if you can find the factory rear swivel it should be compatible with the Samson unit though (because that would be idiotic to change the design to not work with Ruger sling swivels if they aren’t going to provide one either). So maybe start looking on Numrich or Gunbroker for a used Ruger swivel for the folding stock.

EDIT: do you see anything like a stud that might accommodate those cheap QD style sling swivels that Uncle Mike’s and GrovTech and whoever else have been making like forever? I found one pic of an AC556K that appears to have something like that on it.

E6BA327E-6633-4ED3-81E1-C7EFAB3F117E.jpeg
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-11-21 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    I'll check mine more closely when I can but I dont recall seeing a swivel in the new stock.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'll check mine more closely when I can but I dont recall seeing a swivel in the new stock.
    It would probably look more like a stud with a small hole through it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, shitty picture but this should be where the sling swivel attaches.
    30FA0C78-F07F-4EFA-A223-9448F65FB3E1.jpeg

I’m assuming it’s compatible with those cheap sling swivels I mentioned above. Pretty much any place that sells hunting gear should have them.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-11-21 at 11:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yeah, shitty picture but this should be where the sling swivel attaches.
    30FA0C78-F07F-4EFA-A223-9448F65FB3E1.jpeg

I’m assuming it’s compatible with those cheap sling swivels I mentioned above. Pretty much any place that sells hunting gear should have them.
    Sweet! I'll check that out. Thanks. Probably have a swivel and sling somewhere.

Maybe I'll look for some stout polymer ones that wont scratch the finish / metal of the stock. It's a very, very nice stock!
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-11-21 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The front sling swivel on a standard mini-14 is on the bottom of the gas block. On a factory GB/AC556 folder, it is on the left side.

If you put the Samson stock on a regular mini-14, the sling will not lay correctly on the firearm.

Ruger has ****ed this up. They should of released a factory side folder GB model with the new Samson stock as an OEM part.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The front sling swivel on a standard mini-14 is on the bottom of the gas block. On a factory GB/AC556 folder, it is on the left side.

If you put the Samson stock on a regular mini-14, the sling will not lay correctly on the firearm.

Ruger has ****ed this up. They should of released a factory side folder GB model with the new Samson stock as an OEM part.
    I had a swivel, just need to put a sling on it.

But, yea, that would have been better.