Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Winchester Ranger-T ammo?

Feedback Score

Opinions on Winchester Ranger-T ammo?

Specifically the 9mm flavor.

I have read and seen pics of tests with the 127gr +P+ version and it's expansion was inconsistent and not reliable round-to-round. The 147gr version appears to not be afflicted by that and is more dependable in that regard. They are basically modern equivalents (namely the black boxed ones, which are newer than the tan boxes) of the 90's era "Black Talon", which although it gained an anti-gunner reputation it really wasn't that good of a round performance-wise. Obviously bullet technology has advanced over the years and the Ranger-T is the result for Winchester.

I'm an HST guy myself, with the 147gr load being my choice for CCW or home defense. Have a fair amount of too. That said, I have a couple hundred rounds of the 147gr Ranger-T's (black box) and was wondering what you guys thought of it for two-legged critters.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Is it a bonded? And I can’t remember if that one is on Doc’s list or not.

Feedback Score
    Ranger T is not bonded. As I recall, it performs fine as long as there's not much by way of barriers; if there are intermediate barriers, it suffers compare to its bonded counterpart, but since it is on DocGKR's list, I would think it still is acceptable for carry for the most part (HST isn't bonded either, after all).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The older ammo in the tan boxes had two types, bonded and not bonded. I still have a few left. I have had good results with the Ranger-T ammo, accuracy and reliability wise.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I like his tests, so have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UP7p3fxgzE
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I carried that and shot and chronoed a bunch of it a few years back...as I clearly recalled LAV saying it was his preferred carry load, at the time anyway.
    Wasn't much extra recoil, was accurate, but then a lot of tests started poppin up saying it acted almost like an FMJ, or little expansion if any.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I carried that and shot and chronoed a bunch of it a few years back...as I clearly recalled LAV saying it was his preferred carry load, at the time anyway.
    Wasn't much extra recoil, was accurate, but then a lot of tests started poppin up saying it acted almost like an FMJ, or little expansion if any.
    The 147gr ones? I had heard the 127 +P+ flavor had occasional issues.

One I can vouch for myself. Maybe 6 years ago or so I got a "manager's special" Boston Butt pork roast, put it in a cut-out cardboard box, covered the front with 4 layers of an old pair of blue jeans, then a gallon ziplock of water, and finally a bag of Sakrete (just in powder form, not solid concrete!) to back it all up. The 127gr +P+ I fired didn't open up and I had to dig it out of the Sakrete bag. I used to have pics but deleted my Photobucket account and they went with it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

One I can vouch for myself. Maybe 6 years ago or so I got a "manager's special" Boston Butt pork roast, put it in a cut-out cardboard box, covered the front with 4 layers of an old pair of blue jeans, then a gallon ziplock of water, and finally a bag of Sakrete (just in powder form, not solid concrete!) to back it all up. The 127gr +P+ I fired didn't open up and I had to dig it out of the Sakrete bag. I used to have pics but deleted my Photobucket account and they went with it.
    The 147 is good to go. I've never seen one fail, I even killed a deer with it once, shot broke the first shoulder, shredded lungs, and cracked the far shoulder. The 127 +p+ is inconsistent and can perform sporadically in tests, altho it performs well out of long barrels

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

I'm sorry brother... wasn't clear. The 127's.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I've only tested them in mud (127 gr), which I've found has surprisingly similar results to gelatin tests. (Not penetration, just expansion)

The "typical" result is partial expansion. Two or half of the petals open up partially or mostly. But sometimes they all open though more commonly none do.

Doesn't make them bad, really, just be aware they are very inconsistent. There are many Police Depts that use them. I assume they beat others out on price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast