Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you have a favorite make/model of binoculars?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have the same Binos that my grandfather used in Korea during the Korean war.

Other than that I have cheap stuff. I really do need to find a better set.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Any feedback on Steiner’s warranty support? In years past I’d heard they weren’t very customer-friendly when it came to repairing/replacing scopes ... hoping things have changed since then.
    I can't speak to customer / warranty support from Steiner. I've only had their products twice. The first was your typical old full sized military 10 power ones that I hardly ever used because of their size, so I sold them off. The second, however, is a compact (somewhat) set of 8x30. (also the military/marine) Had them for probably 12 or 15 years, and they've been outstanding. They get banged around a lot too. In fact, their rep for being tough was why I got them. Their field of view is good, everything seems crystal clear, good adjustability, I don't get fatigued using them... but the main thing on them is that I NEVER HAD TO send them in for any warranty claims. At least not yet. I look at them kinda the same way I do my Aimpoint Comp M4s. They're kinda bulky, and old school, but built like a tank. I love companies that stand behind their products, but when things go bad, those companies may no longer exist... and I'd MUCH rather have a product that doesn't break, vs one they'd fix when it does. For the $300 or so they cost me, they were a good purchase.

My other set of binos is also a compact ones. I tend to like the more compact ones. I'd rather have a set on me, than in my pack. In fact, the above Steiners ride in the big pouch on my Haley Strategic D3CR-H Chest Rig as if it were made for them. Anyway, my other set is also compact, the Swarovski 8x30. They're every bit as clear as the steiners (maybe even a bit better) but they have funky eye caps that I've never fully been hip on, that go out on the sides as if these were some kind of night vision. You still have to hold them the same distance from your face as a regular set of binos though... Also, they just don't seem to be made as heavy duty, so I've kept them in a more protected role as my car binos. Not saying they're less rugged... just seems that when you handle them you find yourself wanting to be a bit more careful with them. At least I do. Also (and this is big when it comes to user friendliness) the eye caps on the objective lenses are hinged with rubber that's too strong, or has taken a set. When I flip them off to use, the caps will hold themselves up in the view of the lenses. I have to fold them down, and hold them against the body of the binos. It's stupid, uncomfortable, and awkward... and can really slow you down when you're trying to get them out, and in operation to quickly see what that was that just caught your attention way the hell over there. The Steiner system that rotates, and hangs from the center just is much more user friendly.

I'd still like to have your budget though, just to see what's out there in that price range.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 06-22-21 at 07:32.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score

Binoculars

When it comes to binoculars, the "best" or "favorite" model can vary based on individual preferences, needs, and budget. Several reputable brands offer high-quality binoculars, and the ideal choice depends on factors such as intended use, magnification, objective lens size, and specific features.

Some well-regarded binocular brands include:

Swarovski: Known for premium optics, Swarovski binoculars are often considered top-tier in terms of clarity and image quality.

Leica: Leica binoculars are appreciated for their exceptional optics, build quality, and often come with innovative features.

Zeiss: Carl Zeiss produces binoculars with excellent optical performance and a range of models for various uses.

Nikon: Nikon offers a wide range of binoculars catering to different budgets and needs, from entry-level to high-end models.

Vortex: Vortex has gained popularity for providing good value for money, with a range of binoculars suitable for different activities.

Bushnell: Bushnell is known for producing binoculars across various price points, making them accessible to a broad audience.

Celestron: While renowned for telescopes, Celestron also manufactures binoculars, offering a variety of models for different purposes.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not super experienced on binos.. especially high end. But the Steiner Marines were the first glass that I looked through and was really blown away.
    Ditto, the pair I looked through belonged to my Platoon Sergeant.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-24-23 at 09:20.

Feedback Score

Binoculars

It sounds like you're due for an upgrade! Investing in a quality pair of binoculars(https://wildhuntinggear.com/best-binoculars-under-500/) can greatly enhance your outdoor experiences, whether for hunting, birdwatching, or simply enjoying nature. Here are a few recommendations
    1- Nikon Prostaff 3S 10x42 (https://wildhuntinggear.com/celestro...on-binoculars/)
    2-Vortex Diamondback 8x42
    3-Swarovski EL 10x42

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been following this thread for a bit as my daughter hit HS and plays varsity soccer. As a result my wife and I need to volunteer for something. I chose the booth during JV games and immediately became the spotter using loaned binos. Ended up with 8X32 Vortex HD as they came well rated were $200 and available at the local gun show a couple weeks ago.

Spotting numbers on the jerseys for shots on goal, corner kicks, substitutions in and out along with free/penalty kicks has been easy after reading the instructions on setting up the binos. Obviously they are on the low side, 10% of the $2K mentioned above, but great on moving targets to identify small details from afar.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    We have 8x42 Leica Trinovids that have been spectacular for over 15 years, but I don't have significant experience with other high end binoculars.

Whenever I'm considering a new optic purchase, I like to look at what ILya Koshkin recommends. His website (Optic Thoughts) has recommendations for rifle scopes, spotting scopes & binoculars - divided up into price ranges. He has a page titled "Binoculars:Over $1500 / Price no object":

https://opticsthoughts.com/?page_id=97

Feedback Score

Some Good Binoculars

It sounds like you're looking to upgrade to a better pair of binoculars. Here are some recommended options across different price ranges:
    Budget-Friendly Options:
    1-Celestron Outland X 8x42
    2-Nikon Aculon A211 10x42
    3-Nikon Monarch 5 8x42
    4-Celestron Nature DX 10x42
    5-Swarovski EL 8.5x42
    6-Zeiss Victory SF 8x42

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123