Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a favorite make/model of binoculars?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Do you have a favorite make/model of binoculars?

If so, I would appreciate hearing about your experiences.

I would like to buy a high quality pair of binoculars for field use when hiking and target identification/shooting, something durable and well-made, that I can carry is an assault pack (I am using a Kifaru X-Ray, currently). I am partial to German glass, of course.

Budget upper limit is $2K. “Cry once” I figure.

Thanks in advance for your input and views.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    $2k is a really good start.

I personally carry a pair of Swarovski CL companions 8x30 daily onto ships in harsh offshore environment. They've held up great and I'm very happy so far after a few years. I had a pair of bifolds that were more compact, but were annoying to use.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have both Kahles and Minox 8X30 something and Leica 10X40 something.
    Occasionally use the Leica when glassing from truck but virtually never carry them afield.

I use and carry the smaller Bino’s a lot. Both are fairly good glass with very good low light capability.
    CDNN used to carry close outs of decent Bino’s very reasonably priced.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For that money, Swaro EL's or Leica Ultravid HD's. You may also want to consider a range-finding bino- a gently used Leica Geovid HD can be had for that money. For field use and carrying in a pack, I'd get a 42mm objective over something smaller for better performance from the larger exit pupil.

Also, consider carrying your binos in a chest harness. A quality model (such as Alaska Guide) makes carrying and using binos exponentially easier when in the field.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Second the Swaro's with the HD glass. For handheld probably 10x max. Just can't be beaten at the price point.

I have a pair of the Leica Geovids (prior generation) that I paid about 2K for years ago. Have been knocking them around for maybe 15 years hunting and lots of use while out in the sxs, etc. They just keep rolling. Glass not quite as good as swaro but the integrated rangefinding feature is top drawer. I hated having to carry a rangefinder in addition to my binos.

A real sleeper brand is Meopta. I have two pair of 10x42 $550 Meoptas that just kick butt. Lightweight and very nice glass. Again not quite up to Swaro but you're going to have to figure out for yourself what is best for you.

You can't go wrong with the Swaro EL's.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have the lower priced compact BCA 8x Trinovids and they are spectacular. Too small for extended usage like birding or a chest harness, but great for packing in for shooting purposes. Glass is excellent and will satisfy all but the biggest glass snobs.
    Last edited by voiceofreason; 03-22-21 at 20:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My Leica NoctoVids were $1600. They are really good bins but, I gravitate towards my Steiners more and are easily half the cost.

My Celestron Granite ED 7x33's were also purchased gently used for $155 delivered. I'm so impressed with them I'm considering getting some 9x33's too which retail for $320.

For low light use and hunting in general, the Steiner 8x56's are hard to beat. I also like the fact that once they are focused (or adjusted for your eyes) you never have to worry about focusing again for good details in the image. The Steiner's you find at the common big box outlets are not what I'm referring to FWIW. Go to one of the better online retailers that specializes in cameras and optics and you will find Steiners at half to a third the cost of similar "alpha German bins" and you will get 90~99% of the performance in a pair of bins that are tough as nails and a bit bigger and heavier then the more expensive competition.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I greatly appreciate the very informative and helpful information, Gentlemen.

Thank you all, very much.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Geez, I was gonna suggest my handy Bushnell Permafocus 10x binoculars that I’ve used for years doing surveillance....but then I saw the $2k budget so I’m just gonna go sit over in the corner with my cheap bino, non-NVG, no Crye-having Chad ass... LOL

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have had over a dozen pairs of various quality binos over the past decades to include a few Steiner Military/Marines and stabilized Canons. The past few years I have been very happily running a Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and a Vortex Razor HD 10x42.
    These are in the $1300ish range and I was able to compare them at a local specialty store to their respective $2K+ish next level before I bought them. Of course they were maybe 10% better, but the HDs were like 50% better than the $500ish models.
    Both the HDs have equal resolution and are bright and accurate and kill my Canon stabilized 15x50 in clarity. I used to use the Canons to read plates on the move during surveillances, but the non-stabilized HDs are so clear they work almost better even when moving. If I had to choose between Zeiss and Vortex I would say the Vortex seem a bit tougher and more ergonomic.

Good Luck!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-07-21 at 00:00.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast