Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire disappointing output

Feedback Score

Surefire disappointing output

I’m not trying to ruffle any feathers and I’ve spent thousands on Surefire products in the past. Here’s my complaint. Why does Surefire not up the candela in their M300 and M600 lights? I have a new M300 mounted on an AR pistol and was doing a few tests with it compared to an older 350 lumen rail mount 1 from streamlight. The streamlight just seemed like a better performer. I also had a 1000 lumen X300 on my duty handgun. We had a suspect that was in a back bedroom and I was illuminating him from outside using a large tree for cover. My X300 allowed me to somewhat see him through the window (the widow caused a glare)but my partner with a TLR-1HL was lighting him up like no window was there. Surefire lights are well proven and is a good light but Is there a specific reason Surefire doesn’t up the candela?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They have been lagging behind for awhile now. Price vs. performance on SF is sadly wanting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They seem to be content resting on the laurels that the brand name brings, and they've been absolutely left in the dust performance wise by Cloud Defensive, Modlite, and even Gene Malkoff building lights by himself in his garage.

The best way to get more candela from your Surefire M300 is to buy a Malkoff E1HT head for it. The SF M300 is 500 lumens with 7600 candela. The E1HT is 325 lumens with 23,500 candela and it absolutely murders the Surefire 300 series scout head. Lumens can be and often are deceiving, but candela rarely is.

I have the Arisaka 300 E1HT on my backpack AR, and I put the Malkoff E2XT on an old Surefire 2 cell Scout. The E2XT is 500 lumens with 55,000 candela and it too murders every head Surefire produces. The E2HT is 35,000 candela with a little slimmer head. I run them with 16650 rechargeables.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    They seem to be content resting on the laurels that the brand name brings, and they've been absolutely left in the dust performance wise by Cloud Defensive, Modlite, and even Gene Malkoff building lights by himself in his garage.

The best way to get more candela from your Surefire M300 is to buy a Malkoff E1HT head for it. The SF M300 is 500 lumens with 7600 candela. The E1HT is 325 lumens with 23,500 candela and it absolutely murders the Surefire 300 series scout head. Lumens can be and often are deceiving, but candela rarely is.

I have the Arisaka 300 E1HT on my backpack AR, and I put the Malkoff E2XT on an old Surefire 2 cell Scout. The E2XT is 500 lumens with 55,000 candela and it too murders every head Surefire produces. The E2HT is 35,000 candela with a little slimmer head. I run them with 16650 rechargeables.
    Thanks for the info, I’m going to look into them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As I learn more about lights and illumination, I agree with the weakness in candela of the surefires. I have them on most of my guns too. I recently got to use a friends modlite and was pretty shocked at the output difference compared to my newer DF Scouts. Durable as hell, but lacking in output.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I just ordered the E1HT this morning. Looking to upgrade my Rosch Works SL1. It's on sale, plus 20% off to sign up for his emails, was $105 shipped. Cheaper than dudes selling them used.

I can compare it to a X300, X300U 500L, and a Protac 2 Rail. Was looking for more throw at 12 o clock in an SBR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I just ordered the E1HT this morning. Looking to upgrade my Rosch Works SL1. It's on sale, plus 20% off to sign up for his emails, was $105 shipped. Cheaper than dudes selling them used.

I can compare it to a X300, X300U 500L, and a Protac 2 Rail. Was looking for more throw at 12 o clock in an SBR.
    A review and comparison would be great. Thank you sir

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know nothing about flashlight design, but my intuition is that there's more to the equation. They have to conform to a lot of different requirements for durability and reliability in all kinds of environments. Like maybe they have to take a hard pass on some new wizbang diode because it can't survive going from -40 to 130 degrees in 10 minutes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I know nothing about flashlight design, but my intuition is that there's more to the equation. They have to conform to a lot of different requirements for durability and reliability in all kinds of environments. Like maybe they have to take a hard pass on some new wizbang diode because it can't survive going from -40 to 130 degrees in 10 minutes.
    That could very well be true. I was thinking it had more to do with the reflector design but I am just guessing. I’m sure there are some light guys on here that could help us out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motor51 View Post
    That could very well be true. I was thinking it had more to do with the reflector design but I am just guessing. I’m sure there are some light guys on here that could help us out.

I'm just spitballing. My knowledge of lights is I press the clicky thing and it comes on. Given their time in the field though and the R&D budgets they have, I would be willing to bet that they have their reasons for making the choices that they do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast