Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Surefire disappointing output

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I think the AR thing is probably a good analogy. My intuition is that Surefire is to lights what Colt is to ARs. In other words, poorly understood by the average user chasing bells and whistles.

I think that's a good analogy.

However, I would say it's more of, in other words, Colt/SF kept producing the same old thing, with no regard to what the market was doing or what the plethora of private citizen shooters were now looking for. Colt didn't offer factory free float, different barrel lengths, low pro gas blocks, m-lok, different gas system lengths, etc. Too little, too late anyway. SF isn't offering a RELIABLE concealed size light (or even close, IMO), they aren't offering throw, or cancela, they like Colt seem to be happy with their fat government/mil/LE sales. Meanwhile smaller, maybe newer, more responsive companies are eating their lunch. Almost sounds like I'm talking about Trijicon and Aimpoint vs Holosun now...hmm. Or the NRA.

Dinosaur companies.

I also personally think candela and throw are being overrated by many. How many people are buying a Rein, or OWL, or PLHv2 or even worse OKW, to use on their bump in the night house gun? Or for a general home gun on a 1/4 acre property?

Some uses, like in a residential room or similarly sized space, you just may want more flood.

Its not like the M600 is low output, it's 1,500 lumens or whatever, it's a lot of light. It's just not focused. It doesn't always have to be.

How often do we talk about illuminating an area, particularly in your house or similar, using ceiling bounce, or the floor or floorboards, so you aren't pointing the rifle right at something to ID it (or you don't know precisely where it is)? More flood is going to do that as well or probably even better than laserbeam throw

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    I think that's a good analogy.

However, I would say it's more of, in other words, Colt/SF kept producing the same old thing, with no regard to what the market was doing or what the plethora of private citizen shooters were now looking for. Colt didn't offer factory free float, different barrel lengths, low pro gas blocks, m-lok, different gas system lengths, etc. Too little, too late anyway. SF isn't offering a RELIABLE concealed size light (or even close, IMO), they aren't offering throw, or cancela, they like Colt seem to be happy with their fat government/mil/LE sales. Meanwhile smaller, maybe newer, more responsive companies are eating their lunch. Almost sounds like I'm talking about Trijicon and Aimpoint vs Holosun now...hmm. Or the NRA.

Dinosaur companies.

I also personally think candela and throw are being overrated by many. How many people are buying a Rein, or OWL, or PLHv2 or even worse OKW, to use on their bump in the night house gun? Or for a general home gun on a 1/4 acre property?

Some uses, like in a residential room or similarly sized space, you just may want more flood.

Its not like the M600 is low output, it's 1,500 lumens or whatever, it's a lot of light. It's just not focused. It doesn't always have to be.

How often do we talk about illuminating an area, particularly in your house or similar, using ceiling bounce, or the floor or floorboards, so you aren't pointing the rifle right at something to ID it (or you don't know precisely where it is)? More flood is going to do that as well or probably even better than laserbeam throw
    I have a DF on my bedside SBR and have no plans to change it until it dies. That said, most of the lights you mentioned have almost as much usable spill as the DF and have WAY better candela. I have a REIN on my general purpose carbine, and if I didn't already have the DF I'd put the REIN micro on the SBR in a heartbeat. Even the OKW is more than usable indoors if you bounce it off a ceiling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234