Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire disappointing output

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by motor51 View Post
    That could very well be true. I was thinking it had more to do with the reflector design but I am just guessing. I’m sure there are some light guys on here that could help us out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The new DF has the lumens. It does not have the LUX.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    the average user only knows lumens, and Surefire could easily be confused for a marketing firm.
    SF is the Bose of the flashlight world.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I love it when a plan comes together! This E1HT (325 lumens, hyperthrow) should be a decent upgrade on the Malkoff head that came with the SL1 (235 lumens).

Have plans tonight but hopefully mess with these this weekend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    SF is the Bose of the flashlight world.
    I could agree with that except the vampire line is unparalleled. I have two vampires and love them. If I didn't shoot with nods obviously I would probably get a different light, but the vampire does things my PEQ15A can't do. The thing is, the laser illuminators are most useful for ranges where I have trouble hitting anything with a laser anyways. It's one thing when you're talking about infantry laying down fire, where they don't have to be minute of man to hit things out of sheer statistical probability, but when you're talking about defending your homestead with only a few people it changes the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up the full power illuminator, but I think it's more useful for seeing stuff vs. actually hitting it. But for that 25-100 meters where I would have a good chance of actually hitting something reliably, the LED illuminator just gives so much more contrast and lights up a much larger area. I know most people just have the PEQ and a white light, but for the same weight and size I can have IR LED, and the ability to turn the bezel to off is great for stowing and transporting so the batteries don't drain accidentally. And here's the thing, I don't miss the lumens. The vampire in white mode is MORE than bright enough for close in. And anything further away than what the white light can do, I'm using nods anyways at those ranges. The nods don't get flipped up until something is basically point blank, in which case all those lumens from the modlights and whatnot are going to be overkill, possibly to a detriment. In fact, inside a structure with light walls, I feel like the vampire in white mode is too bright as it is, and I like the extra throw that the Surefires have in that scenario. I think that's a big part of the disconnect is that Surefire's target audience doesn't need to light something up at more than fifty yards.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together! This E1HT (325 lumens, hyperthrow) should be a decent upgrade on the Malkoff head that came with the SL1 (235 lumens).

Have plans tonight but hopefully mess with these this weekend.
    I’ve got an SL1 sitting in a drawer that I’ve never used. Even have the switch tailcap (but never got the switch). Guess I’ll have to do some shopping.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I could agree with that except the vampire line is unparalleled. I have two vampires and love them. If I didn't shoot with nods obviously I would probably get a different light, but the vampire does things my PEQ15A can't do. The thing is, the laser illuminators are most useful for ranges where I have trouble hitting anything with a laser anyways. It's one thing when you're talking about infantry laying down fire, where they don't have to be minute of man to hit things out of sheer statistical probability, but when you're talking about defending your homestead with only a few people it changes the game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up the full power illuminator, but I think it's more useful for seeing stuff vs. actually hitting it. But for that 25-100 meters where I would have a good chance of actually hitting something reliably, the LED illuminator just gives so much more contrast and lights up a much larger area. I know most people just have the PEQ and a white light, but for the same weight and size I can have IR LED, and the ability to turn the bezel to off is great for stowing and transporting so the batteries don't drain accidentally. And here's the thing, I don't miss the lumens. The vampire in white mode is MORE than bright enough for close in. And anything further away than what the white light can do, I'm using nods anyways at those ranges. The nods don't get flipped up until something is basically point blank, in which case all those lumens from the modlights and whatnot are going to be overkill, possibly to a detriment. In fact, inside a structure with light walls, I feel like the vampire in white mode is too bright as it is, and I like the extra throw that the Surefires have in that scenario. I think that's a big part of the disconnect is that Surefire's target audience doesn't need to light something up at more than fifty yards.
    You should try a diffuser on your illuminator.

I have one on my full power DBAL and it lights up a whole room no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    I’ve got an SL1 sitting in a drawer that I’ve never used. Even have the switch tailcap (but never got the switch). Guess I’ll have to do some shopping.

In hindsight, its a lot harder to "test" the SL1 since I didn't want to walk into the yard with my carbine. Best I can tell, that E1HT has a good hot spot but much less flood than a 500-lumen X300U-A. The X300U-A is definitely a good light, a bigger hotspot plus the flood. I couldn't tell if the X300U-A spot was hotter or not. I was hiding behind my truck and hitting trees about 40 yards away.

I will try again another evening, moving that E1HT head to another light body so I can light up trees closer to 100 yards.

If I wasn't being a wuss with respect to weight, I would keep the X300U at 12'oclock like I used to. This SL1+E1HT (and a single 123A) is a good compromise, better throw than the original, not as good flood as the X300U (2x 123As). Again, that 19oz Trek really took my handy SBR and made it less handy. I am trying to reduce the nose weight as best I can, within reason.

I have the Roschworks SLM1, which came from OfficerX, available if someone wants to run down that path. At this point I don't think I am going to buy a lightbody for it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Makes you wonder why Streamlight hasn't made a version of the TLR-RM with an integrated front sight.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    More Malkoff Beam Shots:

https://imgur.com/a/Hg13WT6

...not sure what the Hound Dog Super is, but the beam looks impressive.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Makes you wonder why Streamlight hasn't made a version of the TLR-RM with an integrated front sight.

Pretty much everyone went a different way. The different scout-style mounts, coupled with MLOK and Keymod guards made it not as attractive of a solution.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast