Thread: eForm 1 can delays

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

eForm 1 can delays

Has anyone completed an eform 1 for a can in the past couple of months? I did mine about 6 weeks ago and it is still "pending research" without a control # because the manufacturer is not listed. I tried to ask for feedback using the "ask a question" form twice and no answer.

I form 1'd a lower last year and the whole process took less than 6 weeks but I haven't even been able to submit fingerprint cards yet. Wondering if anyone has any insight.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    I've done two since Thanksgiving. Fortunately I read beforehand about using a model name from the drop down list. The first one came back in 28 days and the second one came back in 33. I've seen threads on various forums and approval times seem to be all over the place. I guess I just got lucky.

Feedback Score
    I e-filed a Form 1 for a 5.45x39 IWI Galil Ace on 10/27/21. 5.45x39 wasn't an option, so it went pending research. I included pictures of the receiver to expedite the process. On 02/25/21 I received the email that the status had changed to submitted/in process. So that's four months. My two previous pending researches took five days and zero days (literally received it back the same day). I have another that I submitted on 01/13/21 that went pending research that I has not had the status changed yet. Ask the experts is useless. All I got from them was a generic email with answers to commonly asked questions. Seems like they could just go ahead and post FAQ's on their website. Why have an ask the experts if nobody is going to reply?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you use the dropdown list? If not, you may consider trying to cancel it and starting over. You can call them, and they might be able to advise you further. They're actually really easy to contact by phone and are very helpful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Did you use the dropdown list? If not, you may consider trying to cancel it and starting over. You can call them, and they might be able to advise you further. They're actually really easy to contact by phone and are very helpful.
    I did not because the manufacturer was not listed. I think I'll call today and see if I can cancel and start over. From Bret's response, it seems like they're all over the place. What are people using as the manufacture if the company that's selling the form 1 can kit isn't listed?

Feedback Score
    I don't see that you have a choice but to use the name of the manufacturer that's listed on the firearm or 80% can (or whatever it's called). If it's not there, you'll have to wait. Look on the positive side though. You're helping the greater good as it will be added to the list.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spoke with the ATF today. They were helpful but it's going to be another 30-45 days until I'm out of "pending research". She said that for a form 1 silencer, I could have selected anything listed from the dropdown and they would have just updated to FMI on their end. Good to know of next time I guess...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJinPA View Post
    Spoke with the ATF today. They were helpful but it's going to be another 30-45 days until I'm out of "pending research". She said that for a form 1 silencer, I could have selected anything listed from the dropdown and they would have just updated to FMI on their end. Good to know of next time I guess...
    I made the same mistake when I filed a Form1 for a silencer in January. I sent out a letter right away to cancel the Form1, but apparently you have to wait until it is out of the "Research" phase for the cancel request to count. So once it goes to pending, you can ask for it to be canceled.

I filed a new Form1 the same day I realized my mistake and it was approved a while back. The original one just went "Pending" today so now I can cancel it and wait months for my $200.

Live and learn.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    I have an update on my other "pending" eform. I e-filed a Form 1 for a 5.56x45 Sig 552SB on 01/13/20. 552 wasn't an option, so it went pending research. I included pictures of the receiver to expedite the process. On 03/19/21 I received the email that the status had changed to submitted/in process. So that's two months and six days for this one which is just over half the time as the last one. That's definitely a step in the right direction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    I e-filed a Form 1 for a 5.45x39 IWI Galil Ace on 10/27/21. 5.45x39 wasn't an option, so it went pending research. I included pictures of the receiver to expedite the process. On 02/25/21 I received the email that the status had changed to submitted/in process. So that's four months. My two previous pending researches took five days and zero days (literally received it back the same day). I have another that I submitted on 01/13/21 that went pending research that I has not had the status changed yet. Ask the experts is useless. All I got from them was a generic email with answers to commonly asked questions. Seems like they could just go ahead and post FAQ's on their website. Why have an ask the experts if nobody is going to reply?
    I got the approval today for this one. So that was an additional month to go from submitted/in process to approved.