Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Happy days - buying my 1st M1! - Updated 6 M Later

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    OP, I hope you find one soon.
    I bought a "special" a few years ago. Looks amazing and shoots nice.
    I put NM sights on it, and they are much nicer from the bench.
    Unfortunately, it doesnt like to let the clips lock in. I can put nearly all my weight on it and it doesn't let the clips latch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    So the clip goes IN but just won't latch, correct? I'm no gunsmith so not sure what's up. Did it use to latch? If it never did then I'm just thinking something is out of time or the "clip latch" is worn or peened over or something or spring is broken or out of wack. I'll look at mine and watch it latch and see, maybe I can help ya out some.

Andy getting one mail order from the CMP isn't that big a deal, ya just gotta do some paperwork, be associated with an Affiliated Club or organization, and your good to go. If you're in a Free state I think they still send em right to your house! Get a Service Grade & it will be a nice rifle! I was just looking and a Service grade is still only $750 bucks, not bad, looks like a hell of a wait for one though! I have a Smith that built me a rifle a few years ago that lives in South Dakota, I can check with them and see if they still build them. It might cost more than a CMP rifle but it would be an exceptional rifle I'm sure & it might not be 8/12 weeks . Let me know & I'll check with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Unfortunately, it doesnt like to let the clips lock in. I can put nearly all my weight on it and it doesn't let the clips latch.

Did you contact CMP to have them fix it?

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dan

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post

Dan
    I was so busy when I bought it, by the time I shot it I was told it was out of warranty.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    So the clip goes IN but just won't latch, correct? I'm no gunsmith so not sure what's up. Did it use to latch? If it never did then I'm just thinking something is out of time or the "clip latch" is worn or peened over or something or spring is broken or out of wack. I'll look at mine and watch it latch and see, maybe I can help ya out some.

Andy getting one mail order from the CMP isn't that big a deal, ya just gotta do some paperwork, be associated with an Affiliated Club or organization, and your good to go. If you're in a Free state I think they still send em right to your house! Get a Service Grade & it will be a nice rifle! I was just looking and a Service grade is still only $750 bucks, not bad, looks like a hell of a wait for one though! I have a Smith that built me a rifle a few years ago that lives in South Dakota, I can check with them and see if they still build them. It might cost more than a CMP rifle but it would be an exceptional rifle I'm sure & it might not be 8/12 weeks . Let me know & I'll check with them.
    Clip drops in fine. 99% of the time, the clip doesnt latch. I don't see anything worn or damaged when I stripped the rifle. I tried an Orion action spring from a suggestion, but it didn't help. The special is supposed to be using new/refurb/nib parts from what the lady at CMP told me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have you tried a new clip latch? Sometime the nub is worn ever so slightly.

Dan

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A bad enbloc clip(s) can cause issues. If you have had the rifle apart and the clip latch appears to be serviceable, you might try replacing the clip latch spring.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-...ch-spring.html
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Pretty sure it is illegal to use any of the Obiden bucks on firearm related stuff but...

Agree that you chose wisely!
    Debt->home repairs->gun stuff! In that order. Well mostly in that order. Well in that order if my wife asks!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by agr1279 View Post
    Have you tried a new clip latch? Sometime the nub is worn ever so slightly.

Dan
    This would be where I would look as well.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I love my CMP special M1, but I still can't get clips to insert easily, even after 500 rounds of use. Maybe the new production clips i'm using just suck. I can push the follower down easily, can slide the clips in empty just fine, but the minute a full en bloc goes in... full force thumb pressure. Forget loading from prone. A qualified smith who does NRA high power work said he had no issues after looking at it. Wondering if he just had better clips or I just suck at pushing things with my thumb.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast