Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy days - buying my 1st M1! - Updated 6 M Later

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Oh yeah..Andy..I highly recommend the book The Complete M1 Garand: A Guide for Shooter & Collector by Jim Thompson.
    This really helped me. If you cant find it, Ill lend you mine, just holler.
    Thank you for the offer!

My Dad asked me about getting a sling, and perhaps ammo/clip belt for him. I will ask at the CMP Pro Shop of course, but are originals available? I think I have seen some made in USA ammo/clip belts, and repop leather slings are certainly out there.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Oh yeah..Andy..I highly recommend the book The Complete M1 Garand: A Guide for Shooter & Collector by Jim Thompson.
    This really helped me. If you cant find it, Ill lend you mine, just holler.
    I second that.
    Great book, I have it as a reference tool.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you for the offer!

My Dad asked me about getting a sling, and perhaps ammo/clip belt for him. I will ask at the CMP Pro Shop of course, but are originals available? I think I have seen some made in USA ammo/clip belts, and repop leather slings are certainly out there.

Andy
    Some of the repop's are quite nice, I'm not sure what a NOS would go for or what condition they might be in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you for the offer!

Andy
    Brother- I just dont know anymore. But- Ill DEF keep an eye out & look around for you.
    There is a company, who name Ive long forgotten, that made new catridge belts..ala WW2. Yes, they are indeed out there, Im gonna look around for you when I get a bit of time.
    CONGRATS on your purchase, Sir!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Congrats!

Watch your wallet, though...Those CMP stores are dangerous! When I was down there for the AMC a couple years back, I ended up impulse-purchasing an M1917. I think pretty much everyone in the class bought something extra before it was over. Some of those dudes walked away with multiple M1s as well as an 1903 and 1917. It was hilarious...We were like kids in a candy store.

I think the Greek HXP has been out of stock for a while, but they generally have Creedmoor Sports match and FMJ '06 available. It's great stuff, but it's not cheap, though.

Get some spare clips...They sell them for pretty reasonable in a 25 pack IIRC.

And hit the range there if it's open. It's REALLY nice.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It was a bit of a bust today, no field, rack, service, or special (new barrel) M1s in the store. The had 8 (?) Krags, I wonder where they found those. 1917s were pretty rough, and I just wasn't after one of the two 1903A3s they had.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the krags came from a closed down vfw, am legion etc post. My agency’s honor guard got eight rifles from the cmp several years ago. If the hg is disbanded the guns go back to them.

Feedback Score
    It was a bit of a bust today, no field, rack, service, or special (new barrel) M1s in the store. The had 8 (?) Krags, I wonder where they found those. 1917s were pretty rough, and I just wasn't after one of the two 1903A3s they had.
    So basically no M1 Garands at all?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Andy
    Dang- I was looking forward to some pics & hearing about RACKS of pristine cosmoline filled service grades. Did you get anything at all?
    As an aside- About 10-12 years ago, I met an old gent, I believe he was in his eighties, and when I walked into his house with my gf, his niece, he had an old 1903 springfield on a rack in the living room. Of course he noticed me looking, then he let me hold & check it out. The odd thing was, he & his son both said..that the dad had a "99 year lease" on that gun, and over 50 years had already gone by.
    I cant remember asking what they meant..from WHOM would it have been leased from, and after 99 years..WHO would take it back?
    Always wondered about that. wish I had asked.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Andy
    I bought a M1917 Eddystone from an individual early last year. It is a lot of fun to shoot and I've used it in offhand rifle matches a few times. If you can find a clean one, they are a piece of history worth adding to the collection.
    Train 2 Win

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast