Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy days - buying my 1st M1! - Updated 6 M Later

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So basically no M1 Garands at all?
    IHC Gaps starting @ $1300 and M1Cs even higher. Maybe 10 M1 rifles max when I was there.

Andy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Damn...That's disappointing. Guess the 'Rona took its toll on their stock.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Hatcher's "The Book of the Garand" is a good pick up as is Scott Duff's "The M1 Garand Owners Guide".

Olongapo Outfitters has some nice Garand focused nylon gear.

I love my 30-06 Garand, but my CMP Special .308 is probably my favorite.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    GarandGear.com is another good source for parts and information. I bought their ported gas plug, so I could shoot commercial 30-06 ammunition without beating up the op rod.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Turner is one option for a sling. I have one. It's nice. But I'd never buy one from them. As it is, I bought mine from MidwayUSA. But MidwayUSA only stocks the competition slings, not the reproduction slings.

But I would get one from At the Front. If it isn't made in the US, they say so, but they have US made M1907 leather slings in both WWI and "WWII" configurations (WWI being brass hardware, "WWII" being steel), M1917 Kerr NoBuckl slings (which would be uncommon but not unheard of), and M1 web slings. Unlike Turner, their slings are only available when they're in stock and ready to ship, and they actually ship them in a reasonable timeframe. And the sling is every bit as good as the Turner sling. GarandGear has more modern M1 web slings - although modern (nylon) M1 web slings are not particularly difficult to find. Generally, the M1 web sling is better than the M1907, but it doesn't look as good on an M1.

With cartridge belts, I would prefer one from WWII Impressions, but At the Front should also be good. All WWII Impressions stuff is made in the US. And while At the Front has cartridge belts made abroad, they also sell US-made cartridge belts. WWII Impressions does occasional runs of WWI-era cartridge belts (which also work for M1 Garands) if you don't want "just another" M1923 cartridge belt. WWII Impressions also has more USMC-related stuff, as they can use the EGA, because of their emphasis on American-made items; At the Front doesn't because they can't because a lot of their stuff (stuff that would get EGAs applied) is made abroad.

Best of luck getting a Garand. Hopefully they have more next time... or you could mail order one. Either way, they're a real hoot.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Turner is one option for a sling. I have one. It's nice. But I'd never buy one from them. As it is, I bought mine from MidwayUSA. But MidwayUSA only stocks the competition slings, not the reproduction slings.

But I would get one from At the Front. If it isn't made in the US, they say so, but they have US made M1907 leather slings in both WWI and "WWII" configurations (WWI being brass hardware, "WWII" being steel), M1917 Kerr NoBuckl slings (which would be uncommon but not unheard of), and M1 web slings. Unlike Turner, their slings are only available when they're in stock and ready to ship, and they actually ship them in a reasonable timeframe. And the sling is every bit as good as the Turner sling. GarandGear has more modern M1 web slings - although modern (nylon) M1 web slings are not particularly difficult to find. Generally, the M1 web sling is better than the M1907, but it doesn't look as good on an M1.

With cartridge belts, I would prefer one from WWII Impressions, but At the Front should also be good. All WWII Impressions stuff is made in the US. And while At the Front has cartridge belts made abroad, they also sell US-made cartridge belts. WWII Impressions does occasional runs of WWI-era cartridge belts (which also work for M1 Garands) if you don't want "just another" M1923 cartridge belt. WWII Impressions also has more USMC-related stuff, as they can use the EGA, because of their emphasis on American-made items; At the Front doesn't because they can't because a lot of their stuff (stuff that would get EGAs applied) is made abroad.

Best of luck getting a Garand. Hopefully they have more next time... or you could mail order one. Either way, they're a real hoot.
    I checked out those two sites you mentioned MR...they are great. I appreciate you letting us know about them. Those USMC M1 cartridge belts from At The Front are awesome.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In the hands of someone schooled in traditional military marksmanship the M1 is a deadly serious weapon,
    of iron and wood, always has been always will be .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    In the hands of someone schooled in traditional military marksmanship the M1 is a deadly serious weapon,
    of iron and wood, always has been always will be .
    When I first was assigned to Fort Hood they had a "Rifle Club". It was a bunch of like Korean War era Vet's that got together and built competition grade M1 Garand's and handloaded their ammo, just to talk sh*t and have fun.
    Pretty interesting bunch.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP, I hope you find one soon.
    I bought a "special" a few years ago. Looks amazing and shoots nice.
    I put NM sights on it, and they are much nicer from the bench.
    Unfortunately, it doesnt like to let the clips lock in. I can put nearly all my weight on it and it doesn't let the clips latch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by czgunner; 03-31-21 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have two buddies that bought CMP 30-06 rifles and we shot them and they were nice. Good condition, good actions and it was cool trying to not get the garand thumb. These two rifles were exceptional. Best of luck.

I bought a sling for my M1A from "Leslie Tan" via Honolulu HI and it was the shizzle at the time. I had some others that looked like more synthetic leather that were pretty nice. Good luck with your sling.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-31-21 at 20:26.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast