Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.5” CHF barrel or 11.5” Non-CHF barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

10.5” CHF barrel or 11.5” Non-CHF barrel.

I’m building an AR pistol, and I need to decide between these two:

- 10.5 “ Cold Hammer Forged Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel.
    - 11.5” Nitride Finish Chrome Moly Vanadium (non-CHF).

So, the question is basically between the CHF barrel or an extra inch in barrel length.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    11.5”, because of the extra inch. CHF won’t matter in your application if you’re asking here. Probably doesn’t really matter anyway. You won’t notice the extra inch in “maneuverability”.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It would be a truck gun. And I’m planning to take a couple carbine classes with it.
    It will see a lot less rounds than my regular 16” mid-length (that one is CHF), but will be shot occasionally.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

10.5” CHF barrel or 11.5” Non-CHF barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    11.5”, because of the extra inch. CHF won’t matter in your application if you’re asking here. Probably doesn’t really matter anyway. You won’t notice the extra inch in “maneuverability”.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Maneuverability is not a concern. I’m looking at reliability and durability.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    Thanks for your reply!
    Maneuverability is not a concern. I’m looking at reliability and durability.
    11.5” all day then. You said its a truck gun that’ll get shot a lot less than your other gun. I might get crucified for saying this, but a good nitride barrel might work out well. 11.3” and 12.3” BA Hanson barrels have worked very well for me.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    11.5” all day then. You said its a truck gun that’ll get shot a lot less than your other gun. I might get crucified for saying this, but a good nitride barrel might work out well. 11.3” and 12.3” BA Hanson barrels have worked very well for me.
    I would love a CHF barrel, but none are available in the 11.5” - 12.5” lengths.
    Nitride or Melonite barrels are good, but we always want better, sometimes more than what we need.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I would love a CHF barrel, but none are available in the 11.5” - 12.5” lengths.
    Nitride or Melonite barrels are good, but we always want better, sometimes more than what we need.
    For the next 10,000 plus rounds of that barrel’s life, nitride IS better than what you need. So is chrome, of course. Although the external surfaces are less corrosion resistant.

I think BCM, BRT, Noveske and DD do CL CHF 11.5-12.5” barrels. Probably more. Availability, now that is a whole ‘thing’, obviously.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    I would say to go with the 10.5" CHF barrel. Once you get to 10.5" and above an extra inch to 11.5" is not going to be a significant difference. CHF would likely last you a bit longer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah, CHF CL is probably more durable, in terms of round count at a high rate of fire. But it’ll cost you $3,500 in ammo to find out in 2019 pricing. You’ll also likely consume other parts in that journey. Dude said “truck gun”.

IMO, the biggest problem facing nitride barrels is all the low tier dudes that call themselves manufacturers that use it as a cost-cutting measure, along with hood rat gas ports, chambers reamed with worn out tools, burrs on the feedramps, and shit threads.

My primary rifle has a MAWL, so I’m obviously willing to spend money on it. But, as my tastes evolve, I find myself more and more OK with nitride barrels. For me, its not a cost cutting measure, just that as I evaluate a variety of barrels, the ones I keep are often nitrided. I have CHF CL barrels, but I wouldn’t discount nitride.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I guess I could go with the 11.5” barrel now, and upgrade later when CHF barrels in that size (or 12.5”) become available.
    I’m thinking truck gun, but it will most likely see a bit over a thousand rounds this year between carbine courses and some range practice.
    Assuming ammo gets better, it could see a thousand rounds every year. I like to shoot all my guns. This one would get used for sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast