Thread: Opinions/Experience w/ Reflex Optics on 1911s?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinions/Experience w/ Reflex Optics on 1911s?

Hi All,

I was wondering what opinions/experience the community here has with red dots on 1911’s.

I have had really good luck with Trijicon RMRs on Glocks and I’m getting the itch to start a new project to get a Trijicon CC on a 1911.

Any feedback/advice from those who have down this road would be appreciated (e.g. optic/iron sight combos and shops to perform millwork, etc)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have optics on a 1911 and 2011.
    A bud with a Bridgeport milled the Colt slide, the 2011 came optics ready.
    I installed RMRs on both pistols. The emitter lens flew off one after less than 1K rds., the other lost zero and couldn’t be rezero’d.
    Both were returned to Trijicon and were repaired. I installed both on ARs when returned.
    I reasonably assume this is/was an unusual set of events.

Both pistols now wear Holosun RDs which have seen several thousand rds. through each without incident.
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-20-21 at 21:07.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I've had great luck with my Holosun as well.

PB

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Red dots have been popular on IPSC 1911s since the 80s, especially on 9mm and 38 Super pistols in "Unlimited" class.

Aimpoints and C-Mores until the last five-ten years with RMRs, Docters, Holosuns, Leupolds, etc.

This:

to this (US Marshal Staccato-P):

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Red dots have been popular on IPSC 1911s since the 80s, especially on 9mm and 38 Super pistols in "Unlimited" class.
    I had tried a few handguns with low-powered, LER scopes but the experiences were mostly negative. What changed my opinion of optics on a pistol was a 1911 with an Ultra-Dot attached via one of the grip/mount setups of the time.

We have some Ultra-Dots that are now getting along in years, though they have been relegated to .22 pistols or a trapper-length levergun. They may be unfashionably bulky, but they still work just fine... and have never needed a repair no matter what they were on.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    In '88 or so I had a Tasco "Pro Point" on a 1st Gen, Hi-Cap, .38 Super (USPSA).
    It, along with Hi Cap, was legitimately a "Game Changer".
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Burris FFIII -They work well from my experience....... .45&9mm I also use them on 10mm's: 1911, G20 Glock and GP100. Only way to go if your eyes need a boost

45.JPG1911 9mm.jpg
    Last edited by NavPop; 04-28-21 at 10:04.