Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 prong flash hider timed or no?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

3 prong flash hider timed or no?

I recently finished putting together a parts kit build. I've got a 3 prong flash hider and a lock ring on the barrel, Just want to confirm that the 3 prongs were not timed because I will not be able to get it to line up with one of the slots pointing straight up or straight down without going over torque spec. Unfortunately I've seen a lot of photos were it appears 3 prong flash hiders actually were timed, just want to verify that is by chance and being 10-20 degrees off vertical is not unusual either.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, but I like having a prong at 12 o clock or near it to push any flame to the sides.

Feedback Score
    Shims for the win.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have two, 3 prong flash hiders. I timed neither. Just torqued to spec.
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    No, but I like having a prong at 12 o clock or near it to push any flame to the sides.
    If at all possible, this is what I have done as well. As said, timing is not required on a 3-prong FH.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Three-prong designs are supposed to be pretty effective at mitigating flash, has anyone compared the effectiveness at hiding flash of the early 1st and 2nd three-prong types vs the A1 FH and the A2 that followed.

I get there were practical reasons in getting away from the three-prong design in Vietnam (Breakage due to misuse, catching on vegetation) but was it any more effective at the singular task of hiding flash than the A1?

I had the 2nd pattern three-prong on a 10.3” SBR for a while and it didn’t seem very effective at mitigating flash from what I could see, but that might have had more to do with the fact that it was a 10.3” SBR. I never fired the SBR without a muzzle device at all to compare, so it’s possible the flash hider was helping more than it looked.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    EDIT: Double post. I dunno what’s up with my phone but this is the second time this has happened today.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-27-21 at 12:01.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Three-prong designs are supposed to be pretty effective at mitigating flash, has anyone compared the effectiveness at hiding flash of the early 1st and 2nd three-prong types vs the A1 FH and the A2 that followed.

I get there were practical reasons in getting away from the three-prong design in Vietnam (Breakage due to misuse, catching on vegetation) but was it any more effective at the singular task of hiding flash than the A1?

I had the 2nd pattern three-prong on a 10.3” SBR for a while and it didn’t seem very effective at mitigating flash from what I could see, but that might have had more to do with the fact that it was a 10.3” SBR. I never fired the SBR without a muzzle device at all to compare, so it’s possible the flash hider was helping more than it looked.
    The Truth About Guns tested the three and there is not much difference: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...hiding-test-2/

I cannot attest to the accuracy of the tests.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-01-21 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    I timed my Surefire mainly for aesthetic reasons. I wanted the logo at 12 o’clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The Truth About Guns tested the three and there is not much difference: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...hiding-test-2/

I cannot attest to the accuracy of the tests.

Andy
    Interesting, thanks.
    In addition to messing with the older Retro 3-prongs, I’ve got a Surefire 3P Eliminator on an 11.5” SBR that I sometimes consider swapping for something shorter, seeing that *according to this test* the Surefire doesn’t seem to perform substantially better than an A2 might be an argument in favor of going with a more compact muzzle device.

Unfortunately I don’t have the opportunity to shoot in low light very often to test this stuff out myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast