Thread: 5.7x28 performance in the real world?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

5.7x28 performance in the real world?

There is a lot of speculation about the 5.7 all over the "error'net", much of which uses ammunition unavailable to civilians in the USA. Further, Ruger is making a 5.7 pistol these days suggesting some increasing interest. I'm starting to see Federal American Eagle 5.7 ammunition on the shelf so, traction seems to be picking up.

I am generally on a farm so, deeper penetration has some appeal to me if I run into a feral hog, however, the bullet weights are pretty low.

Assuming you are limited to ammunition available "on the shelf" or via webshops, how effective is the 5.7x28 out of a pistol in ballistics gel or in documented use against animals or by the police? I'm thinking specifically about out of pistol length barrels, not out of a PDW/Subgun. I have almost no interest in LEO/MIL ammunition to defeat body armor beyond the applicability on feral hogs (those critters have some rather hard body parts in certain locations).

TIA,
    Sid
    Last edited by Sid Post; 04-04-22 at 09:02.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Its light recoiling, flat shooting, and fun to shoot. Very fun to shoot, just like 4.6. Depending on ammo, performance ranges from reasonably good to piss-poor. The best ammo in a 16” might not be the best ammo in a 4”-5”, and vice-versa. Follow up shots are ready as fast as you can discriminate the target and work your finger, from any size weapon.

Given that you listed feral hogs as a threat, I’d choose pretty much any pistol caliber with a hardcast or copper solid instead. I don’t know what piggies look like in your AO, but they’re damn near megafauna around here, and from pistol barrels mass matters.

If you’re looking for something speedy without the recoil of proper 10mm, I’d suggest .357 Sig or 9x25 Dillon instead with maybe some Lehigh solids. Or hardcast in the .357 Sig. Speaking of cartridge length, 5.7 is rather long, and grip feelz reflect that.

From a rifle, most anything is better in any barrel length for external ballistics and terminal performance. The others will be louder, particularly without a silencer.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! I have a Glock 20 and 40 in 10mm. Ammo around here is scarce and expensive for hog plinking. My 6.8SPC works well against hogs but, it won't fit on a chest rig. 45ACP is worthless on the feral hogs I have shot with it. The boar in my trap took 8 rounds of 45ACP and was still extremely aggressive, to the point I left and came back 12 hours later to ensure he bled out. That got me to the Glock 40 with its long slide but, it is a bit clumsy and heavy for normal chores on my farm.

Regarding grip length, I shoot a Desert Eagle 44 so, even with my medium-sized hands, that isn't a concern I have.

Without legal access to armor-piercing ammo for the 5.7, I am curious if there are rounds available for a tough 100lb boar. For general plinking fun, the cheap American Eagle ammo looks like a good option to me being priced competitively to cheap 9mm hardball ($0.30 vs. $0.35 per round).

The lightweight of the bullet concerns me but, the high velocity is attractive and skinny bullets should go deeper to reach vitals.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You have legal access to the deepest penetrating ammo in the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Without legal access to armor-piercing ammo for the 5.7, I am curious if there are rounds available for a tough 100lb boar.

The lightweight of the bullet concerns me but, the high velocity is attractive and skinny bullets should go deeper to reach vitals.
    Typically, the rounds that perform poorly do so because they come up short in penetration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You have legal access to the deepest penetrating ammo in the caliber.
    What ammo are you suggesting?