Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardball vs. Hardball----Does Caliber Matter?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by indianalex01 View Post
    So let me get this straight… he said 45 didn’t stop someone in a shooting so he switches to a smaller bullet? Sounds weird to me but ok.
    Cause there is no difference in the energy of course.

Sarcasm off now...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Shooting animals is probably about the best reference we have for how bullets actually behave in living tissues. Pigs especially are extremely similar to an ideal human specimen, but even deer are similar enough to be relevant. Pigs just happen to have very similar physiology to us, and the average wild hog is pretty similar dimensionally, too. In other words, if a bullet does xyz in an average sized pig, it's a pretty safe bet that it would do similar things in a well built person.

That is exactly what my friends and myself picked up on after the first couple of Pigs we took. Plus the Farmers LOVE us helping get rid of them and we love to oblige and pork 😁 so we started using Self Defense Ammo on curtain one's and then we started taking notes. I have learned a lot about bullet performance in the past 7 - 8 years.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    That is exactly what my friends and myself picked up on after the first couple of Pigs we took. Plus the Farmers LOVE us helping get rid of them and we love to oblige and pork �� so we started using Self Defense Ammo on curtain one's and then we started taking notes. I have learned a lot about bullet performance in the past 7 - 8 years.
    What is your assessments and conclusions?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm guessing a hot .32 acp from a long barrel will stop a pig quick with a proper head shot.

But a pig in a vehicle behind laminated glass will require a bullet with more weight. 😁

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the same question. You have our attention.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig and the all mighty 45 ACP kill 100 to 200 lb hog the same. No VooDoo or B.S magic, hit the "Timer's" or "Switches" and Porky goes down, miss and well..

... your dealing with a pissed off pig. 🤣

The big Magnums, 44, 454 Casule, 460 S&W 500 L.B when used with bullets that will actually start expanding inside the pig will actually act like rifle rounds, to a extent. Take a 9mm with a 124gr Gold Dot at +P+ Velocity, I have only seen 1 or 2 weird things happen like a liver having a crack in it when the bullet didn't hit it. Couldn't find any bone or fragment that hit it but it was cracked. I have seen one heart that had a 9BPLE pass within a half inch from it have a split aorta, I believe the heart was full of blood when the bullet passed by and that was how that happened. I have only seen 2 cracked livers with hogs shot with a 357 Sig, I believe it was a fluik like the 9mm, I don't own any thing in 357 Sig, my buddy shot those hogs, not me. With the Big Bore Magnums there is more damage to arias that the bullet doesn't touch, nothing like a rifle but a little bit. The 40 S&W & 45 ACP act just like the Sig and 9mm, PoP! (in the proper spot) Poke, Expand, Penetrate, Leak Important Life Fluids, Dead Hog. 😁

Outta about 600 + hogs shot from 5 ft to about 25 yards, all standing still, and broadside we found out bullets sometimes do strange sh*t but if ya hit the Heart, Lungs, Liver we never lost one and actually with even the "wimpy" 9mm (me being snarky) I, personally have never had a hog go farther than 20 or so yards. Like I said earlier tho, these were 100 to 200 lbs hogs shot from 5ft to 20 or so yards broadside, standing still.

I don't believe in "Knock Down Power" in Duty or Self Defense caliber pistols, they poke holes going in and let important, life sustaining fluid out. Shot placement is King. I have seen strange things when 200 and up grain bullets are hitting things at 1,600 or more fps but I am not smart enough to say what it is other than it's way more damaging than Duty/Self Defense Calibers but not as much as a Rifle, also when it comes to my Daughters life and my life I trust what Doc Roberts says.

Edited to add : I carry a 9mm every day, that is my preferred carry caliber. I thought I would add that & all these Piggy's weren't shot by me. My buddy's and myself are blessed to have some very good people in our lives that let us hunt the way we want to and these pigs were taken by 8 of us. As long as we're helping keep the pig population in check we can hunt with Dogs, Under Feeders, with Rifles or Pistols and at night. We got bored just "Hunting Hogs" and decided to test Self Defense ammo our way. As long as we had a good broadside shot no further than 25 yards, we took it.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 07-28-21 at 18:59.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I also believe this is VERY IMPORTANT for me to add.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO EXPERIENCE kicking in doors and shooting bad people in the face, I never was in the Military, I have never been a LEO the only experience with Self Defense Ammo I have is Hunting, & doing some impromptu bullet "test" , that is it. I have the upmost respect for all the folks that put there life on the line so I get to hunt and enjoy shooting, thank y'all.

I have shot a bit of Blisltstcs Gell to see how Self Defense & Hunting ammo works but I rather Hunt or train to keep my shooting skills up to the best of my ability.

I don't want to derail this, hell I don't know if the tiny bit of information I have about hunting hogs is even important to anyone.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 07-28-21 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'm guessing a hot .32 acp from a long barrel will stop a pig quick with a proper head shot.

But a pig in a vehicle behind laminated glass will require a bullet with more weight. 😁
    Dont own a 32 acp, hell I don't even own a 380, I have shot a 170 lb hog with a 38 before, after he ran my ass up a tree. 🤣

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky1 View Post
    9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig and the all mighty 45 ACP kill 100 to 200 lb hog the same. No VooDoo or B.S magic, hit the "Timer's" or "Switches" and Porky goes down, miss and well..

... your dealing with a pissed off pig. 🤣

The big Magnums, 44, 454 Casule, 460 S&W 500 L.B when used with bullets that will actually start expanding inside the pig will actually act like rifle rounds, to a extent. Take a 9mm with a 124gr Gold Dot at +P+ Velocity, I have only seen 1 or 2 weird things happen like a liver having a crack in it when the bullet didn't hit it. Couldn't find any bone or fragment that hit it but it was cracked. I have seen one heart that had a 9BPLE pass within a half inch from it have a split aorta, I believe the heart was full of blood when the bullet passed by and that was how that happened. I have only seen 2 cracked livers with hogs shot with a 357 Sig, I believe it was a fluik like the 9mm, I don't own any thing in 357 Sig, my buddy shot those hogs, not me. With the Big Bore Magnums there is more damage to arias that the bullet doesn't touch, nothing like a rifle but a little bit. The 40 S&W & 45 ACP act just like the Sig and 9mm, PoP! (in the proper spot) Poke, Expand, Penetrate, Leak Important Life Fluids, Dead Hog. 😁

Outta about 600 + hogs shot from 5 ft to about 25 yards, all standing still, and broadside we found out bullets sometimes do strange sh*t but if ya hit the Heart, Lungs, Liver we never lost one and actually with even the "wimpy" 9mm (me being snarky) I, personally have never had a hog go farther than 20 or so yards. Like I said earlier tho, these were 100 to 200 lbs hogs shot from 5ft to 20 or so yards broadside, standing still.

I don't believe in "Knock Down Power" in Duty or Self Defense caliber pistols, they poke holes going in and let important, life sustaining fluid out. Shot placement is King. I have seen strange things when 200 and up grain bullets are hitting things at 1,600 or more fps but I am not smart enough to say what it is other than it's way more damaging than Duty/Self Defense Calibers but not as much as a Rifle, also when it comes to my Daughters life and my life I trust what Doc Roberts says.

Edited to add : I carry a 9mm every day, that is my preferred carry caliber. I thought I would add that & all these Piggy's weren't shot by me. My buddy's and myself are blessed to have some very good people in our lives that let us hunt the way we want to and these pigs were taken by 8 of us. As long as we're helping keep the pig population in check we can hunt with Dogs, Under Feeders, with Rifles or Pistols and at night. We got bored just "Hunting Hogs" and decided to test Self Defense ammo our way. As long as we had a good broadside shot no further than 25 yards, we took it.
    Thanks for the report.

Any ball ammo? Flat points? Calibers under 9mm? .38 Special? .380?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks for the report.

Any ball ammo? Flat points? Calibers under 9mm? .38 Special? .380?
    No Sir, no hard ball. One 38 Special, a hard cast Simi Wadcutter to the ole noggin after the thing ran me up a very small tree. 🤣

Since this was about hard ball I feel like I have screwed this thread up, I apologize again and don't want to derail this.
    Last edited by Spooky1; 07-28-21 at 19:35.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast