I like history. I use to study it more back in the day. Well, not really study per say but just read whatever I could find that was interesting. This was back before the internet. Library cards where mandatory then. Some of you reading this will understand. Some of you reading this will never understand that world. Either way it probably doesn't matter.

Anyway back in that long ago world of reading books I read about the 9mm, its first use by the Germans and how the original ammo was loaded with truncated cone FMJ. The short story is after they started shooting people with the flat nosed full metal jackets the big burly men on the opposing side during WW1 figured it was too effective for such a small cartridge and that it should be a war crime to use such deadly ammo and supposedly our side started killing captured soldiers that had the flat nosed FMJ's in their possession. Mind you it was completely OK to shoot someone with RN FMJ from a 45. Just don't do it with a flat nosed 9mm. THAT was inhumane. Wounds were just too grotesque. So that's why they switched to RN FMJ's.

I spent the last hour trying to find documentation or info to support the above but couldn't really find anything solid academically and at this point I don't want to spend anymore time on it. The most recent place I read about it was in an article in Hand Loader magazine by Terry Weiland. I was kind of disappointed that nobody else has knowledge of the above. Considering the topic of discussion I would have thought someone would have brought it up. But then I should point out that this happened over 100 years ago and was a brief occurrence in the world of small arms.