Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Hardball vs. Hardball----Does Caliber Matter?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I shot a bunny rabbit in the body with a 9mm fmj at fairly close range. He kind of hopped away and was eating grass when I shot him in the head. Totally changed how I feel about handgun effectiveness.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I have always wondered if semi wad cutter type designs were under valued.
    It's all the same at duty caliber energy levels. Even in high power magnums though the bullets tend to tumble anyways, so it's all pretty similar in the end. Especially for duty pistols though it makes the most sense to optimize the bullet for reliable feeding, affordability, and penetration, both in barriers and in terms of staying on a straight path through the target and not breaking apart. I do think there's some evidence that flatter bullets tend to be less prone to veering off course, which is a really serious problem with handguns in general. Even 9mm FMJs which are a best case scenario for velocity and sectional density and everything, they can do some really surprising things according the medical literature, both during and after the fact.

Feedback Score
    I believe calibur always matters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I shot a bunny rabbit in the body with a 9mm fmj at fairly close range. He kind of hopped away and was eating grass when I shot him in the head. Totally changed how I feel about handgun effectiveness.

Andy
    Had a pet rabbit once when I was younger. He had a tooth get infected and while I was at work dug a hole in the side of his head scratching at it. Not about to spend a bazillion bucks on a damn rabbit in Vet bills I decided to put him down so off to the woods we went.

Only firearm I had at the time was a Ruger super blackhawk in 44mag.

Shot him in the body and... Turned him more or less inside out. There was no 'hopping away' crap.

Not all handguns are as weak as a 9sillimeter...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Had a pet rabbit once when I was younger. He had a tooth get infected and while I was at work dug a hole in the side of his head scratching at it. Not about to spend a bazillion bucks on a damn rabbit in Vet bills I decided to put him down so off to the woods we went.

Shot him in the body and... Turned him more or less inside out. There was no 'hopping away' crap.

I am sure a 9mm SWC, HP, or flat nose bullet would have had a different effect.

My Dad has a bunch of trees planted as a wind blocker on his ranch and the bunnies are hard on young trees. We shot a lot of bunny rabbits - normally with a .22, .223 or shotgun.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-26-22 at 22:54.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post

Had a fisherman on the Kenai up here put a brown bear down that charged him with a 9mm and 147 grain hard cast bullets. The 9mm is fine. https://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/240665-alaskan-fishing-guide-kills-grizzly-with-9mm/#/slide/1
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 02-26-22 at 23:07.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I carried a 1911 for years and shot some people with it, when you do your job it tends to do it's job. Having said that I had one incident where 9 rounds of .45acp did not make the terrorist dead right now and it took my brother to shoot said terrorist in the head with his rifle.

I then started to carry a Hi Power, and the same can be said about it. When I did my job, it tended to do it's job.

... if you are at 10 yards or less in a street and your 45 goes to slide lock and despite you sending 9 rounds at your attacker your in a sticky spot. But if you have fire those 9 rounds and the wicket is stick and your pistol still has 9 more rounds before reload your in a better position.

But Yoni, they make today hi cap 45's!

Yes they do.

But can you shoot it as fast and accurate as your 9mm?
    Just curious (I have never shot anyone with a pistol) -- have you since had to shoot someone with a 9mm pistol nine or more times to stop them?

Just curious.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Just curious (I have never shot anyone with a pistol) -- have you since had to shoot someone with a 9mm pistol nine or more times to stop them?

Just curious.
    Yes and no.

In a face to face like the incident with the .45acp, I never had to use so many rounds, so no.

Yes I used a mini Uzi against a terrorist, where I just hosed him. So yes

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Had a fisherman on the Kenai up here put a brown bear down that charged him with a 9mm and 147 grain hard cast bullets. The 9mm is fine. https://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/24...-9mm/#/slide/1
    Shoemaker can shoot !!!!!

Feedback Score
    The BS is piling on big time.. I shot a rabbit with a 9mm and he started eating grass after…lmao. Man there is some comical stuff on here tonight

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast