Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Hardball vs. Hardball----Does Caliber Matter?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Plenty of Lever action .357 mag exist, but I don't want a lever action rifle. Ruger seems to make semi auto carbines in damn near every handgun caliber, why not .357 mag?

There was another thread I'd said same and there was a lengthy discussion on that one. E The one caliber that seems to benefit the most in handgun rnds from longer barrels, hardest to find as semi a auto carbine. I'd seriously consider a semi auto .357 carbine, where as i have no real interest in handgun caliber carbines in 9mm, etc.

What am I missing there? Feeding issues?
    Rimmed cartridges have been made to feed in semi-autos before (e.g. S&W 52, Desert Eagle) so I imagine it's just lack of demand.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Sure.

But it's not like other rimmed cartridges haven't been made in semi and even full auto guns.

The .357 Coonan of course but also doesn't .303 British have a rim? 7.62x54R is another one. .22 of course. I'm sure there are more.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Rimmed cartridges have been made to feed in semi-autos before (e.g. S&W 52, Desert Eagle) so I imagine it's just lack of demand.
    Then people need to pay more dang attention!
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Will, you've got me thinking about the .351 Winchester SL and the Hyman Lebman mods done for Prohibition gangsters- namely the addition of a 1928 Thompson foregrip. A local gunsmith makes a replica of such that I've been eying for some time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Will, you've got me thinking about the .351 Winchester SL and the Hyman Lebman mods done for Prohibition gangsters- namely the addition of a 1928 Thompson foregrip. A local gunsmith makes a replica of such that I've been eying for some time.
    Double T
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-31-21 at 09:37.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Go for for it! Never heard of it. For myself, I'm really only interested in "standard" calibers that are easy to obtain and reasonably priced.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Go for for it! Never heard of it. For myself, I'm really only interested in "standard" calibers that are easy to obtain and reasonably priced.
    Let us know when that happens 😄😬😖

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    As far as quickly stopping an attacker? No, although a flat-nose, narrower, higher sectional density and faster bullet is less prone to ricochet and deviation.
    Ding Ding Ding. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

You would be surprised how many headshot victims end up in ER or are found just stumbling around the crime scene after taking a 9mm, .40, .45 round nose FMJ to the skull that just glanced off, traveled under the skin and exited out of the scalp the other side.

Its almost like the skull was specifically shaped by evolution or something to protect the brain by deflecting glancing impacts. Combine that with a round nose projectile that already is prone to deflecting and you get reports of people getting shot execution style with round nose projectiles surviving with just soft tissue wounds to the scalp.

Bullet shape and construction have more to do with how a bullet will react to meat and bone targets than diameter. I highly suggest reading some Jim Carrillo for some nice anecdotes on people surviving FMJs to the head.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 04-07-21 at 01:13.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hahahaha....true story bra!

Feedback Score
    what would Elmer Keith do ?

NRA Life Member
    USPSA-IPSC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    On another forum Im on there is a poster named Max Prasic or something like that. He is a well known big game handgun hunter. He says in the hunting community there is a lot of information showing that SWC bullets, or other designs with a sharp leading edge, cause significantly more damage that round profile bullets.

On the other hand, Doc Roberts has said that you start to see significant wounding outside of the bullet path with heavy hot loaded 44 mag. These hunters are usually using bullets significantly more powerful than 44 magnum. Ive heard a theory that the sharp edge not only cuts more tissue it causes more tissue disruption away from the bullet path and therefore might cause more cavitation wounding as well.
    This has been observed for decades now. I remember reading Ross Seyfried articles in the latter '70's, talking about how the size of a bullets meplat was directly related to killing/stopping power.
    I remember thinking the first time I heard the term "meplat" I was wondering "what the hell is a meplat"?! NOBODY KNEW! But I learned awhile later what is is.
    Later readings of Keith and a few others all said the same thing. All the big game hunters back then agreed meplat was important in killing/stopping power.
    And Ive read more than one article on the effect of wadcutters as SD loads. But, as long as there is HST & GD, I aint going there.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast