Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Pecking Order of Pistol-Mounted Red Dot Sights?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Sounds like you are running the ACRO at this point in time? If so, do you carry it in a IWB holster? How is that?
    Yes, I carry AIWB. To me, no noticeable change in printing, though I tend to wear my clothes relatively loose anyway, as it gets quite hot here.

Can you elaborate on this comment? I have the RMR Type 2 with a 3.25 MOA dot. It has manual and auto modes. I actually like the auto mode about 98% of the time. What am I missing or not considering?
    Auto works fine usually... until you need to use supplemental lighting. The auto mode is notorious for washing out when used in conjunction with a WML. There is some argument to be made that a larger dot is more forgiving of that, and harder to wash out; I'll also note that many competition shooters seem to prefer a larger dot, and don't find the larger dots to be a hindrance in accuracy; after all, a 6.5 MOA dot at 25 yards is only 1.625".
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Can you elaborate on this comment? I have the RMR Type 2 with a 3.25 MOA dot. It has manual and auto modes. I actually like the auto mode about 98% of the time. What am I missing or not considering?
    There are two types of RMRs. One is the older model like a RM01, this type of RMR does not have adjustment buttons and makes the brightness adjustments for you based on a ambient light sensor. The second type has the + and - buttons along with the ability to switch to auto adjust mode by pressing both buttons simultaneously.

If you have a pistol with a light on it and you activate the light the ambient light sensor does not see the light in front of the optic so it doesn't adjust. If the RMR is gauging via the sensor that its dark, the dot will be low and washed out. You will completely loose the dot.

You can also run into a delay with the auto adjuster. If you turn on the lights there can be a 2 to 3 second delay. You could see where this could be a problem for concealed carry where it is dark under you cover garment and then when you draw its slow to adjust or chooses wrong for you. If you have the manual buttons you can set it up for the proper brightness when in the holster and if needed you can come up over the optic and tick it up a few notches.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Seems like you have good info. I dont think Holosun is having quality issues. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I feel the it’s on par with the RMR in regard to distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    I've seen some complaints about optical distortion with the 509T. Have you noticed anything distracting? I see some distortion with every pistol dot (RMR, 507, DPP) I've ever tried, so it's not a huge deal to me unless it's just over the top; I just seem to read more complaints than average about the 509T's optical quality than others.
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    My 509Ts seem very similar to my RMRs in that regard. There are probably clearer options out there, but I wouldn't say it is overly noticeable unless you are looking for it.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Double tap
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Ya great feedback so far. I was a little surprised by the Holosun praise, but my head has been in the sand with regard to what they've been doing. I like the idea of a enclosed emitter design so I went ahead and ordered the 509t, which will go on the Walther PDP that I have coming. It will be nice to have something to compare the RMR against.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Seems like you have good info. I dont think Holosun is having quality issues. YMMV

PB

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Ya great feedback so far. I was a little surprised by the Holosun praise, but my head has been in the sand with regard to what they've been doing. I like the idea of a enclosed emitter design so I went ahead and ordered the 509t, which will go on the Walther PDP that I have coming. It will be nice to have something to compare the RMR against.
    Please circle back and let us know what you think.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It really shouldn't be all that surprising.

Why do we somehow think that the Optics we love are different than any other high tech commodity?

When I first got a cell phone, your choices were Erickson and Motorola, later Blackberry.... All of which have had the living shit kicked out of them by Apple and Samsung- price, features, processor speed etc...all superior- and, made in China. TV's. How many people do you know buying Magnavox today? How about Zenith? Gone. Replaced by Samsung, Vizio etc....Computers- all of them are now Cheaper, Faster, Better- than ever before. Technology marches on and TRICKLES DOWN, becoming cheaper in the process.....The product doesn't matter.....But for some reason there is a segment of "gun people" that can't get over the fact that the Chinese companies- Holosun in particular are able to produce a very high quality product for a fraction of the cost of the "favorite".

Now, if you are Uber Patriot etc...Good on you.... Realize that many of the components etc...in you "OTHER THAN CHINA" made product are either made in China or with Chinese made materials. For example, many of the "rare earths" used in certain red dots and high end optics- yea, that shit comes from China.

https://www.edmundoptics.com/knowled...rth-materials/
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I finally jumped into RDS on pistols and went for the known US quantity, the 3.25 Adjustable RMR.

I get the closed emitter argument, but at the same time I'm not that concerned with it. I get that everything has to be bombproof / never happen / blah blah blah, but IMO the close emitter tech is still a tad new on the market and while I know you can foul an open emitter RDS, it's not like users have been crying on the internet for years about how horrible this 'problem' is. Pretty much no one talked about it, EVER until Holosun and Aimpoint released one.

Sure, it make sense if you are in a dive unit, or waterborne unit, what have you. But until it's a bit more refined, etc I'll just rock RMRs.

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    Looking forward to the ACRO Gen 2 . It may also be in the running.
    Last edited by Biggy; 05-03-21 at 11:21.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast