Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: best lvpo for 600?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The Nightforce is a great scope, but really the reticle is too fat for precision at 600+.
    0.2 mrad dot is too fat for precision at 600?
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 07-26-23 at 10:36.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Paying much more than that for the limited ability of the LPVO is dumb money in my opinion. The Nightforce is a great scope, but really the reticle is too fat for precision at 600+.
    that's how I look at as well. My only complaint is the reticle could a little brighter but it's size, weight, and true 1x with full eyebox is great for 'red dot' type and if you need to open it up, the rt6 does that fine. I liked the older mtac 1-4s, truly built like tanks. I had 2 that I utterly destroyed (have pics somewhere) over the years they never faltered. I've one rt6 that I have beat up on a bit, not like the mtacs, and it's still trumping along. I don't think you get that until you pay much more, certainly not with the strike eagles, steiners etc. Burris makes them tough

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    0.2 mrad dot is too fat for precision at 600?
    Not the turret. The NF 1-8s we run have a really fat round thing reticle going on. Even when shooting groups we'll use a different part of the reticle to aim on paper because the center portion is too imprecise.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Not the turret. The NF 1-8s we run have a really fat round thing reticle going on. Even when shooting groups we'll use a different part of the reticle to aim on paper because the center portion is too imprecise.
    Current Nightforce NX8 and ATACR LPVOs all have a 0.2 mrad center dot. The old reticle with the 0.35 mrad center dot has been phased out for a few years now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Current Nightforce NX8 and ATACR LPVOs all have a 0.2 mrad center dot. The old reticle with the 0.35 mrad center dot has been phased out for a few years now.
    Not sure about the center dot, but it's those goofy donut segments that occlude your view at distance. And when you come of a Mil B reticle in a ATACR scope, it's painful. I'm not pooping on the Scope. But when you're trying to hit a 6" flapper at 750 yards, the reticle is sub-optimal to say the least.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Not sure about the center dot, but it's those goofy donut segments that occlude your view at distance. And when you come of a Mil B reticle in a ATACR scope, it's painful. I'm not pooping on the Scope. But when you're trying to hit a 6" flapper at 750 yards, the reticle is sub-optimal to say the least.
    This is the current FC-DMx reticle, don't really see how it would be an issue:

Beyond that, using an LPVO to hit 6" targets at 750 yards isn't really what I think most proponents of LPVOs would say is in an LPVO's wheelhouse.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Those donut chunks are nothing like the real sight picture on the 1-8s we run. They're black and 3 times as thick. I wish I had a real pic of the reticle against the 750 target. It's unpleasant.

Here's a real world (borrowed) snip of the pain of the reticle. (now picture trying a precise shot at even further)

Last edited by markm; 07-26-23 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    Those donut chunks are nothing like the real sight picture on the 1-8s we run. They're black and 3 times as thick. I wish I had a real pic of the reticle against the 750 target. It's unpleasant.

Here's a real world (borrowed) snip of the pain of the reticle. (now picture trying a precise shot at even further)

Right, that's the old FC-DM reticle, which as been phased out for a couple of years now. Having of owned ATACRs with both, the FC-DM was certainly less than optimal for taking extremely precise shots, while the FC-DMx is better in that regard, while still retaining high usability at close range, particularly with illumination. That being said, at range, I didn't see the issue, as I'm not dialing, and I don't really think that's how most people would want to use an LPVO anyway, so I'm using the Christmas tree anyway.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm not dialing, and I don't really think that's how most people would want to use an LPVO anyway, so I'm using the Christmas tree anyway.
    True. 750 is on the far end of the practical reach of LPVOville. I'll use the tree sometimes out to 500 yards because those come ups are in my head. But the scope does have enough dial up to go way beyond 750, so we use it that way on occasion.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456