Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Miller and his "Roland" special

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Are you saying that he would carry a different gun if he was planning on handling trouble? Or something else?
    Exactly. He ain't kicking doors ATM is all I'm sayin. He can afford to have a little "fun" with his carry selection.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have a CGW CZ P07 Roland Special, it is the best gun I have ever carried.

With Match ammo it will out shoot a big money big name 1911.

That includes a $4000 custom built Browning Hi Power.

I carry this pistol 100% of the time.
    I got to wonder how many guys with compensated pistols even bother to choose ammo (or load themselves) with the right powder to actually 'work' the comp.

Small charges of fast burning powder may be economical but they are not the best choice when loading for a compensated gun.

A good experiment one can do on their own is to load a handful of rounds with Bullseye powder (note the velocity) and then load another handful of rounds with AA#7 to about the same velocity. Spoiler alert - The AA#7 is going to produce a lot more gasses and work the comp better...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I got to wonder how many guys with compensated pistols even bother to choose ammo (or load themselves) with the right powder to actually 'work' the comp.

Small charges of fast burning powder may be economical but they are not the best choice when loading for a compensated gun.

A good experiment one can do on their own is to load a handful of rounds with Bullseye powder (note the velocity) and then load another handful of rounds with AA#7 to about the same velocity. Spoiler alert - The AA#7 is going to produce a lot more gasses and work the comp better...
    I would wager many who pay enough attention to shooting and the origins of “The Roland Special” have a pretty good idea of what works and doesn’t. Mine is always loaded with HST, but if I use regular range fodder for practice or training I know going into it that I’m practicing malfunction drills whether I want to or not. Sometimes I just take the comp off and have no problems. But to your point, I’m sure there’s a fair share of those that put it on for the “cool guy” factor and wonder why it chokes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    To those thinking a comp on a 9mm is for the hellacious recoil of the 9x19... no lol

A comp (when combined with proper grip and stance) reduces muzzle climb to the point that the dot doesn’t leave the window; instead you see the dot move from the center to the top of the window in a nice straight, predictable line. With an RDS pistol the dot is basically your speedometer, so a comp allows for much faster splits and a more even cadence. If all you’re doing is slow fire you’ll never notice, but it makes a difference.

I didn’t even try someone’s compensated pistol until day 2 of my 4th pistol class (my second RDS handgun course), but shooting a couple comped glocks directly beside mine opened my eyes. It’s even more advantageous as distance increases. Would I recommend it for a newbie? No. They probably won’t use the correct ammo and they’re even more likely to have some sort of grip/stance deficiency that’ll need to be addressed.

I took some liberties with the Roland concept, but I’m happy with my Fauxland Special

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    To those thinking a comp on a 9mm is for the hellacious recoil of the 9x19... no lol

A comp (when combined with proper grip and stance) reduces muzzle climb to the point that the dot doesn’t leave the window; instead you see the dot move from the center to the top of the window in a nice straight, predictable line. With an RDS pistol the dot is basically your speedometer, so a comp allows for much faster splits and a more even cadence. If all you’re doing is slow fire you’ll never notice, but it makes a difference.

I didn’t even try someone’s compensated pistol until day 2 of my 4th pistol class (my second RDS handgun course), but shooting a couple comped glocks directly beside mine opened my eyes. It’s even more advantageous as distance increases. Would I recommend it for a newbie? No. They probably won’t use the correct ammo and they’re even more likely to have some sort of grip/stance deficiency that’ll need to be addressed.

I took some liberties with the Roland concept, but I’m happy with my Fauxland Special
    Nice looking piece. Where did you get the stippling done? Exactly what I've been looking for.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Nice looking piece. Where did you get the stippling done? Exactly what I've been looking for.
    Rocket City Stippling. The trigger guard undercut is standard, but those angled forward cuts are extra. Together they make a big difference.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Rocket City Stippling. The trigger guard undercut is standard, but those angled forward cuts are extra. Together they make a big difference.
    Is that text pattern what they are calling "Microburst"?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Roland carried a Thompson.

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Roland carried a Thompson.
    No sir. No sir.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Is that text pattern what they are calling "Microburst"?
    yessir

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123