Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Weightlifting?

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    I was always told not to use grip aids: to allow your grip strength to develop. I enjoyed wearing gloves to save wear and tear on the skin. I lift enough weight to need them but over the years I have stopped using them. My trainer recommends a specific type of weight belt for back support. I can see how the straps are a benefit for competition if they allow them, but I believe building the grip and forearms is critical as any other group.
    My grip is about as strong as it's ever going to get. I am 77 I have arthritis in my fingers and get them shot up with cortisone every 6 to 8 months. Doc wants to do joint replacement or fusion but finger joint replacement is not reliable and fusion limits range of motion so I put up with the pain.

Feedback Score
    I would guess you can benefit from a lower weight and increase your reps. Do what you need to do but be careful not to injure yourself if you go heavy with straps. Sorry to hear your arthritis is bad.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was always told not to use grip aids: to allow your grip strength to develop. I enjoyed wearing gloves to save wear and tear on the skin. I lift enough weight to need them but over the years I have stopped using them. My trainer recommends a specific type of weight belt for back support. I can see how the straps are a benefit for competition if they allow them, but I believe building the grip and forearms is critical as any other group.
    Building your grip strength is fine but your grip will never be as strong as your lats for example. So by not using straps your lats are never worked properly, because your grip will always give out before your lats. Straps are tools that should be used, and I would say more important than a belt.

A belt does not give you support, a belt gives you something to build intra abdominal pressure against. Most people wearing belts just wear them like they are to support the spine, but there just a tool to help brace which allows your abdominal muscles to support the spine. If you ask the majority of people wearing a belt what the valsalva maneuver is they will have no idea.

Use the proper tool for the job. If you want to build grip strength buy a set of Fat Gripz, and use them a couple times per week. If you want to build the most strength or size possible tools like straps are a necessity. If anyone has problems using traditional straps buy a pair of figure 8 straps. If you train with straps a few times wrapping them around the bar is siimple.

Feedback Score
    What's the belt have to do with heart rate? I haven't reached a weight high enough to lose my grip, I stopped using grip tools when I was a kid. My PT recommended a specific belt for spine support, I assumed the wrapping of rhe core would stabilize to spine but I don't lnow the concept behind it. He tested my grip and I maxed the unit out in both hands: I think it was 250lbs maxxed out. I use a suicide grip (I think thats what they call it) I have no idea of I would benefit from wraps or not? I seldom work my lats, I do a lot of pull ups that my lat work. I don't bench anymore, I overhead press instead. Most of my routine is core and legs, pull ups and dips. I would feel silly wearing a belt or wraps. Thanks for the info, a bit lost but appreciated.
    Last edited by Core781; 11-10-21 at 05:54.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What's the belt have to do with heart rate? I haven't reached a weight high enough to lose my grip, I stopped using grip tools when I was a kid. My PT recommended a specific belt for spine support, I assumed the wrapping of rhe core would stabilize to spine but I don't lnow the concept behind it. He tested my grip and I maxed the unit out in both hands: I think it was 250lbs maxxed out. I use a suicide grip (I think thats what they call it) I have no idea of I would benefit from wraps or not? I seldom work my lats, I do a lot of pull ups that my lat work. I don't bench anymore, I overhead press instead. Most of my routine is core and legs, pull ups and dips. I would feel silly wearing a belt or wraps. Thanks for the info, a bit lost but appreciated.
    It has nothing to do with heart rate, valsalva maneuver is a breathing technique used to create intra abdominal pressure which braces the spine. If your not working your lats you will end up with a major imbalance. 250lb grips strength is good but if you worked your lats properly you would see your grip will always fail before the lats. Also using straps makes it so you are not activating other muscle groups as much and can focus on lat strength. If you are only doing pull ups you should find some more lat exercises they are one of the largest muscle groups in your body.

Feedback Score
    I do wight lifting I recently join a GYM near the main road to my home I go thereafter free from my work actually I like to do exercise and building muscles.
    What do you want help from me in weight lifting I have experience in it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456