Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Weightlifting?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    This is bro science, hypertrophy is truly not understood how to achieve it like strength. Changing you program every 3 weeks is stupid. Step loading, wave loading, and variable overload are a few methods for gaining strength that are proven. There is a reason every guru like Hany Rambod, Neil Hill, and Chris Aceto have different methods to achieve hypertrophy. We know what I takes to get stronger, if we knew the same about hypertrophy everyone would be following just a couple methods.

If you look at the best trainers out there with the biggest athletes not a single one will have you change your training ever three weeks. To say cardio enhances gains is also not true, blanket statements like that are more bro science BS.
    Improving cardio improves gains. Pretty logical argument: vascularity and efficiency of the cardio/pulmonary system is the foundation to your health.

Not doing the same routine for more than a month prevents repetitive injury and helps keep you engaged, and varying sets and reps is natural to the body. Doing the same thing over and over leads to burn out, stress, and often causes disease. Our body is a complex organism, it adapts fast and will plateau quickly to the same stimulus.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Core781 View Post
    Improving cardio improves gains. Pretty logical argument: vascularity and efficiency of the cardio/pulmonary system is the foundation to your health.

Not doing the same routine for more than a month prevents repetitive injury and helps keep you engaged, and varying sets and reps is natural to the body. Doing the same thing over and over leads to burn out, stress, and often causes disease. Our body is a complex organism, it adapts fast and will plateau quickly to the same stimulus.
    Improving cardio is to much of a blanket statement to say it will improve gains. Will it help with overall health? Yes, but gains you would have to qualify what type of cardio. Training for a marathon is cardio, and it will absolutely do nothing for gains.

If you change your routine that often you will have no way to guage progress. You can adjust variables, but the overall routine shouldn't be changed that frequently. Injuries do not occur because you follow the same routine for 8 weeks. Olympic lifters and power lifters will do 3 to 4 exercises always with accessory work this doesn't cause injury. Improper training generally what causes people to be injured.

Changing variables has to be done with an end goal in mind, changing things at 3 weeks just to change them makes no sense. There is nothing natural to the body when it comes to training, there is a reason the body fights you at a certain point. Training is not a stress that is going to cause disease. Psychological stress is the type of stress that correlates with disease, not physical activity. Physical activity actually combats disease.

You can change your workout as often as you would like, it doesnt make it right. Gains is one thing you brought up and if changing your workout that often works for you thats great, we all have to find what is best for our body. Hypertrophy is something that everyone achieves through similar, but different methods. Look at the best trainers and programs they have come up with like FSF7,Y3T, Doggcrap, German volume, and the soviet weight lifting methods. All of these will manipulate variables, but the routine will not change every 3 to 4 weeks.

Pavel Tsatsouline quoted a Soviet scientist who said that physiological data of what works can be found in world records and not in textbooks. This quote can be applied to gains as well.

Feedback Score
    unless you're trying to be highly competitive in a sport, most folks can accomplish their goals in 4 hours a week.

I think the best thing to do is find a program that works for you that you'll adhere too and rotate the exercices or rep scheme every 3-4 work outs.

I am a huge fan of Conjugate Method training which includes 4 days a week, 2x upper and 2x lower with emphasis on a strength day, and a speed day with the powerlifting movements as well as some hypertrophy specific exercises in the end.

About cardio.... The higher your General Physical Preparedness is the better you're going to be able to both recover and grow. I like to pull sleds for this or do a little bike riding. Also doing some kettlebell swings or HIIT work is going to raise your GPP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by malstew123 View Post
    unless you're trying to be highly competitive in a sport, most folks can accomplish their goals in 4 hours a week.

I think the best thing to do is find a program that works for you that you'll adhere too and rotate the exercices or rep scheme every 3-4 work outs.

I am a huge fan of Conjugate Method training which includes 4 days a week, 2x upper and 2x lower with emphasis on a strength day, and a speed day with the powerlifting movements as well as some hypertrophy specific exercises in the end.

About cardio.... The higher your General Physical Preparedness is the better you're going to be able to both recover and grow. I like to pull sleds for this or do a little bike riding. Also doing some kettlebell swings or HIIT work is going to raise your GPP.
    Louie Simmons kept hurting himself following the progressive overload system, and developed this while hurt. His system takes from the soviets and Bulgarians. If you look at most of the work it's still bench, dead, and squat. Days of maximal and days of speed work along with accessory work as well. You may do a slight variation or use a different bar, but on bench day your doing some form of bench.

The cardio exercises you listed are exactly the exercise that can lead to gains as it was put previously. There are forms of cardio that may make you healthier overall but will be detrimental to a program like this. Sprinters are usually pretty jacked and endurance athletes usually are the opposite.

I think most people could probably achieve their goals with 4 hours a week as well, as long as the training is focused. I like to read about powerifting and know a little bit, but its not my thing. You can't argue with success and Westside barbell is the most successful American powerlifting method. I don't think you will find anyone who will argue that fact.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I am in, Blue Belle butter pecan.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/h...-while-bulking

Feedback Score
    Anyone use these. I have several finger joints with arthritis and I am looking for something to help with gripping the bar when dead lifting, doing pull ups and other pulling exercises.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Clutch...C?ref_=ast_bln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Weightlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Anyone use these. I have several finger joints with arthritis and I am looking for something to help with gripping the bar when dead lifting, doing pull ups and other pulling exercises.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Clutch...C?ref_=ast_bln
    You could probably get some cheap wrist straps for $10 that will do the same thing. The only down side is they might be a pain in the ass getting set for pull-ups. I’ve been thinking about trying a pair of these. It’s a short wrap.

https://www.amazon.com/Alternative-P...d-f486577edf4d
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 11-08-21 at 09:12.

Feedback Score
    I have lifting straps but I find them a pain to get wrapped around the bar with one hand. I also have some lifting hooks but they get in the way on some exercises so I am constantly putting them on and taking them off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Weightlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I have lifting straps but I find them a pain to get wrapped around the bar with one hand. I also have some lifting hooks but they get in the way on some exercises so I am constantly putting them on and taking them off.
    The ones I linked are kind of a cross between. The short leather palm is wrapped around the bar from the backside when you want the benefit of a strap. If you keep it flat against your palm, it’s like having a glove on. The ones you posted seem more like lifting hooks and you might find them just as annoying. $30 isn’t the end of the world, try them out maybe you’ll like them. I have no experience with them, and they don’t look like my cup of tea. Looking at the ones you posted, I don’t know if they’ll really do what you want. They look like you’re still going to have to use maximum grip strength to close the two halves around the bar. Where as straps using friction just transfers the weight to your wrists.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 11-08-21 at 11:59.

Feedback Score
    I was always told not to use grip aids: to allow your grip strength to develop. I enjoyed wearing gloves to save wear and tear on the skin. I lift enough weight to need them but over the years I have stopped using them. My trainer recommends a specific type of weight belt for back support. I can see how the straps are a benefit for competition if they allow them, but I believe building the grip and forearms is critical as any other group.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast