Thread: 68-69gr BTHP Match Load Data Question

Feedback Score

68-69gr BTHP Match Load Data Question

How interchangeable is load data between a 68gr BTHP like the Hornady 68gr Match bullet, and a 69gr BTHP like the Sierra 69gr Matchking?

I know there is some differences in the bullet profile and overall length of the bullet. Is that difference big enough to make interchanging load data with the same powder between the two unsafe?

Obviously powder is scarce, but I have Norma 201. There is load data available for both the 69 gr Matchking and the Hornady 68gr Match, but the Hornady load data has a wider range of minimum to maximum charge. Is it safe to use the load data published for the 68 gr Hornady bullet with a 69gr Matchking bullet and still use the Matchking overall case length?

Thanks is advance for your advice!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Unless you’re on the edge of safety with one bullet, changing to the other will not be unsafe.

Any time you’re near the edge and a component is changed, the powder charge should be reduced before working back up.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Start with the recommended minimum charge weight and you'll be fine.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Very interchangeable. I use 75 and 77 gr loads back and forth. When you get into flat base vs. boat tail you can see some variations, but similar shape/weight/bearing surface isn't a big deal.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTwoSix View Post
    How interchangeable is load data between a 68gr BTHP like the Hornady 68gr Match bullet, and a 69gr BTHP like the Sierra 69gr Matchking?

I know there is some differences in the bullet profile and overall length of the bullet. Is that difference big enough to make interchanging load data with the same powder between the two unsafe?

Obviously powder is scarce, but I have Norma 201. There is load data available for both the 69 gr Matchking and the Hornady 68gr Match, but the Hornady load data has a wider range of minimum to maximum charge. Is it safe to use the load data published for the 68 gr Hornady bullet with a 69gr Matchking bullet and still use the Matchking overall case length?

Thanks is advance for your advice!
    it is safe, I speak from personal experience. I use winchester 748 and use either weight bullet and this also applies to 75 & 77 gr bullets. I stay a hair under max when using the 75 & 77 gr albeit winchester 748 load data is very forgiving.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for the advice! Much appreciated!