Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend a good and durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Listen to this guy. Konus is your best bet in the under $250 range

I have no experience with Athlon spotting scopes but they may be worth a look as well. Their scopes offer a really good value for the money. Call Doug at Camera Land NY and he will hook you up

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2247721

That one is on sale and might be ok for what you want. They have some bundles for like $229 with binos as well

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...otting%20scope
    I’ll look at Konus and Athlon as well.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately a good setup is going to be expensive, not only for the glass but the tripod.
    Even a decent spotting scope on cheap tripod that isn't stable it's difficult to see bullet impacts clearly.

For a quality tripod you're probably looking at the budget you mentioned in your first post.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    Unfortunately a good setup is going to be expensive, not only for the glass but the tripod.
    Even a decent spotting scope on cheap tripod that isn't stable it's difficult to see bullet impacts clearly.

For a quality tripod you're probably looking at the budget you mentioned in your first post.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I disagree with the implication that a heavy/stiff tripod is needed for the OP's intended use. The weakness of lesser tripods is when they are extended to use standing they are flimsy. The more leg sections the flimsier. When used on a bench, sitting or prone most are fine. I am NOT a long range shooter and this setup works well for sighting in a rifle 3-4 times a year. Casual use at best. Same as my $40 Harris clone bipod. TASCO 20x60x60 on a GEEKOTO chicom tripod with a homemade "L" bracket. I have never used it in conditions that wouldn't allow seeing 22 caliber holes in white paper at 100 yards in decent light. I'll admit on a cloudy day at 200 yards it would probably be almost useless but it serves my purposes for 200 bucks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Recommend a good and durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.

I am going to get a good pair of binoculars (12x50 minimum) that I could use for other purposes and be done with it.
    Last edited by 202; 04-06-21 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I am going to get a good pair of binoculars (12x50 minimum) that I could use for other purposes and be done with it.
    You ain't gonna be done with it if you still want to see hits on target.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Recommend a good and durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.

Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    You ain't gonna be done with it if you still want to see hits on target.
    You might be right.
    Last edited by 202; 04-06-21 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    Binos for seeing bullet impacts doesn’t work for me. Too much shaking. A stable platform is what is needed. Spotting scope on a tripod is really going to be best. I got lucky and found a “Winchester” branded spotting scope that came with a hard case and tripod. There is even a small padded bag that is included for carrying in the field.
    I found this Vortex Solo monocular on Amazon for $150

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W...6-4261edaac788

A tripod mounted spotting scope is really going to be the best for spotting target shots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12