Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good and durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Recommend a good and durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.

I need a recommendation on a good, durable monocular or spotting scope under $150.
    Trying to see bullet holes better at 100-200 yards.
    I use Shoot-N-C targets, but would like a little bit of help at those distances.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    "Good and Durable" The Vortex Diamondback at $399 is as low as I would recommend. Just save a bit more time and buy once cry once. Maybe someone will have a better idea.

Going to be Konus ( i had one once, not too bad for cheaper) $85 to $237

Barsca and Tasco, just don't do it.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-24-21 at 18:26.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Second post in one day by two different people about monoculars? If this is for shooting, you don’t want a monocular. There are plenty of Chinese spotting scopes on Amazon for less than $75 that will suit most people’s general range use.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    "Good and Durable" The Vortex Diamondback at $399 is as low as I would recommend. Just save a bit more time and buy once cry once. Maybe someone will have a better idea.

PB
    I agree on buying quality and be done with it. But I’m running out of money.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Second post in one day by two different people about monoculars? If this is for shooting, you don’t want a monocular. There are plenty of Chinese spotting scopes on Amazon for less than $75 that will suit most people’s general range use.
    I’m not sure on the durability of those $75 spotting scopes, that is why I’m looking at going higher to $150 or even $200.
    Or perhaps PB is right and the only choice is a Vortex or similar priced spotting scopes.
    And what is wrong with a monocular? I think it can work well, and can also be used at sporting events.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    I’m not sure on the durability of those $75 spotting scopes, that is why I’m looking at going higher to $150 or even $200.
    Or perhaps PB is right and the only choice is a Vortex or similar priced spotting scopes.
    And what is wrong with a monocular? I think it can work well, and can also be used at sporting events.
    How much durability do you need? If your intended use is putting it on a bench or the ground at your range to check targets at 1-200y, you’ll be fine. If you where using it to hike into the back country to glass for elk or mule deer, then maybe not so much. If money is an issue, walk down and check your targets. That would free up more money for ammo and training.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm afraid no inexpensive monocular will let you see bullet holes at 200 yards. I have a decent pair of budget (Nikon Prostaff) 10X binoculars and they are borderline at 100 yards, no way they would work at 200.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-25-21 at 09:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Listen to this guy. Konus is your best bet in the under $250 range

I have no experience with Athlon spotting scopes but they may be worth a look as well. Their scopes offer a really good value for the money. Call Doug at Camera Land NY and he will hook you up

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...iation=2247721

That one is on sale and might be ok for what you want. They have some bundles for like $229 with binos as well

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands...otting%20scope
    Last edited by everready73; 03-25-21 at 11:50.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    How much durability do you need? If your intended use is putting it on a bench or the ground at your range to check targets at 1-200y, you’ll be fine. If you where using it to hike into the back country to glass for elk or mule deer, then maybe not so much. If money is an issue, walk down and check your targets. That would free up more money for ammo and training.
    Taking it out back country/hunting is always a possibility.
    Walk down to check targets every few shots is not efficient. Plus on a range with other people, breaks are usually every 15 or 20 minutes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm afraid no inexpensive monocular will let you see bullet holes at 200 yards. I have a decent pair of budget (Nikon Prostaff) 10X binoculars and they are borderline at 100 yards, no way they would work at 200.

Andy
    Yeah, I know. And in my case I need at least a 12X power to see at those distances.
    Last edited by 202; 04-06-21 at 17:06.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast