Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help With a Car for My Daughter

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Give her yours and find an upgrade for yourself.
    This is the best advice. I haven't read the other 2000 replies and suggestions. But based on your experience with your car and the service record on it, it is the best thing for your daughter. Buying a car half as old for her is an unknown. Even if you check the carfax there is still a chance that something might break or fail. Being a new driver, there is a chance that she might bump or put a minor ding here and there on her car. Better get those character scratches on an old car than a newer one. We all were 16 at one time. We make stupid mistake even after we're driven 40 years. My buddy backed up over a tree stump and broke his bumper, I've gotten too close to the curb and scraped the wheels a few times when I parallel park, etc.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    My oldest Daughter will turn 16 in a couple of months and I am looking to buy her a solid used car...
    Have a brother a few years older and a sister a few years younger. Growing up and about the age of 16 dad was pretty consistent telling my brother and I that if we wanted a car we had better plan to buy it ourselves. His reason being that if HE simply bought one for us that we would most likely not take as good of care of it vs if we had to work for and pay for it ourselves with our own money that we had to earn. Explained that it would be a money pit for him and that we would learn nothing about responsibility.

He pretty much stuck to those beliefs and the brother and I both started out driving what we could afford with our own money. We had to pay for everything related to those vehicles as well. The insurance, the fuel, the maintenance stuff. Dad would help with repair stuff if needed but we had to supply the parts on our own.

Taught the brother and I a lot about being responsible for our actions with respect to vehicles. Meaning - Neither of us were very likely to be beating on a vehicle that we knew we would have to pay to fix if we screwed it up...

Dad was not a dummy - Until little sister turned 16...

He bought her a fairly new little red coupe to poot around in under the conditions that she would pay for her own insurance and gasoline for it. That grand illusion of his only lasted a few months before he realized he had screwed up. LOL!

He got stuck paying for every bit of it. Every time she came home there would be a new ding or dent in that car somewhere, the tank would be empty and sister would be hitting him up for money. I clearly remember the one time he took it to go fill it up with gas for her and how pissed he was when he got home. Said that the inside looked like she had been using it for a trash can...

I took the opportunity to remind him what he had told the brother and I about responsibility and had a pretty good laugh at his situation with the sister and that car. Damn lucky he did not smack me for rubbing it in on him. Pretty sure he considered it.

I very sincerely wish you better luck than my dad had sir.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate all of your suggestions. I ended up getting a 2010 Honda Civic Lx with 67,000 on it. Was rust free and "imported" from Georgia 2020, which was a strong point. Price was really good given that everyone "smart" is looking for good used cars. Right about $7,000. In MN my 2010 Toyota Corolla has a value of $6,500 with 150,000 miles on it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Red*Lion; 05-05-21 at 16:35.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345