Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help With a Car for My Daughter

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For reliability get a toyota.

If you want something bigger and cheap go Ford crown Victoria.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Stay away from Nissans with a CVT, I have 4239 reasons why I will never buy another one
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    My oldest Daughter will turn 16 in a couple of months and I am looking to buy her a solid used car. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla that is my usual work driver and it has been fantastic. I am looking at used Corollas, but wanted to see what others had to say about other brands and models? Looking for a small car that gets good gas mileage that will be reliable. Honda civic? Hyundai? Others?
    Any guidance and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Consumer Report auto edition is worth having. But, in general, cant go wrong with Toyota, Honda, etc. I think the Corrolla consistently scores high for reliability etc. Hyundai has come a long way since the crap boxes they started with, and worth a look as to how they rank in CR for reliability, safety, etc. Also, while quality seems to have slipped a bit in recent years, Subaru may be another to consider as they tend to score high on crash tests. Mazda is another that seems to have gotten its act together again: See:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ight/index.htm
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-26-21 at 08:59.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Something that'll CRUSH whatever she hits. I'm thinking about one of these for MY daughter - she turns 16 in November.

Sure, it'll crush anything it hits because it was before the development of crumple zones. It's not that these cars are made better, they just weren't made to crumple to protect the people inside. This means whatever initial G-Forces on a collision that these cars go through on impact is then transferred to the occupants inside with very little loss. Sure the solid steel frames and bumpers get less damage, but how do you thinks someone's daughter's internal organs will do? I'm guessing not so good.

Car's are safer now days BECAUSE they crumple, not the other way around. Yes, the car is destroyed, but better the car, which is insured (should be anyway), then the occupants inside. Those old cars would fail miserably on modern crash safety tests, not to mention the lack of airbags and ABS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Sure, it'll crush anything it hits because it was before the development of crumple zones. It's not that these cars are made better, they just weren't made to crumple to protect the people inside. This means whatever initial G-Forces on a collision that these cars go through on impact is then transferred to the occupants inside with very little loss. Sure the solid steel frames and bumpers get less damage, but how do you thinks someone's daughter's internal organs will do? I'm guessing not so good.

Car's are safer now days BECAUSE they crumple, not the other way around. Yes, the car is destroyed, but better the car, which is insured (should be anyway), then the occupants inside. Those old cars would fail miserably on modern crash safety tests, not to mention the lack of airbags and ABS.
    If you could only interview Sammy Davis Jr on the subject..

Feedback Score
    We passed our used Honda Accords down to our daughters. When one was totaled we replaced it with another that had over 100,000 miles. An Accord is good for 300,000 miles pretty easily. A Camry would be equivalent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Those old cars would fail miserably on modern crash safety tests, not to mention the lack of airbags and ABS.
    Schmucks given: Zero.

I can't stand a shitbox foreignmobile, or an American one, for that matter. I've been saying since my 20's (I'm now in my mid-50's), that if I hafta go to a MUSEUM, to buy a V-8 powered, rear wheel driven automobile, that's what I'll do. My '95 Grand Marquis had the smallest engine of any vehicle I've ever owned - 285 c.i.d. V-8. My Jeep Commander has a 287 c.i.d. V-8, my '92 Ramcharger has a 318 V-8.

I don't care about gas mileage - I don't care about airbags - I don't care about crumple zones - I don't care about safety ratings. V-8... RWD (or 4WD). That's ALL that matters to me (& NOT GM).
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I can't stand a shitbox foreignmobile, or an American one, for that matter. I've been saying since my 20's (I'm now in my mid-50's), that if I hafta go to a MUSEUM, to buy a V-8 powered, rear wheel driven automobile, that's what I'll do. My '95 Grand Marquis had the smallest engine of any vehicle I've ever owned - 285 c.i.d. V-8. My Jeep Commander has a 287 c.i.d. V-8, my '92 Ramcharger has a 318 V-8.

I don't care about gas mileage - I don't care about airbags - I don't care about crumple zones - I don't care about safety ratings. V-8... RWD (or 4WD). That's ALL that matters to me (& NOT GM).
    Hey.....you do you. I loved my '69 Z-28 RS. I would get one again if the situation was right. What I wouldn't do though is give one to my daughter who just learned to drive....which is what this post is about.

Some foreign mobile's are shitboxes. So are a bunch of domestics. My car is a gas guzzling 5.7L V-8. It's just made by Toyota, which I would put against any engine on the market as far as reliability goes. It's also AWD/4WD.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-26-21 at 09:49.

Feedback Score

But when its your kids....

I've now convinced myself that a Tahoe is the smallest vehicle I want . My Euro buddies faces just go blank when I tell them that my wife and my cars together have 12 liters of displacement and 700 hp... they can't comprehend that- especially on what that would be taxed at over there.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    double...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast