Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Suez Canal Blockage

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I'm so confused.

I read huge letters on the side of the ship that says, "EVERGREEN". But in smaller letters on the front of the ship it says, "EVER GIVEN". I've heard and read the ship being called both. What's the deal?

Here's an Evergreen vessel / Ever Liberal that lost some containers...I would love to see one of the mega in person as 20k containers is pretty freak'n impressive. I honestly did not think it would move w/out unloading.

https://taiwanenglishnews.com/evergr...ainers-at-sea/
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    EVER GIVEN is officially confiscated: Suez Canal chairman

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1...Canal-chairman
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post
    EVER GIVEN is officially confiscated: Suez Canal chairman

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1...Canal-chairman
    I wonder what the Ever Given and all of it's cargo is worth. Hell of a confiscation. Read that it can carry 20,000 containers.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 04-13-21 at 15:34.
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    Was it not the canal pilot in command of the vessel at the time of the incident?

If so it's awfully hard to blame Evergreen.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Exactly, Trying to follow this story has been a challenge...just hoping I can find a legit follow up to the black box.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Was it not the canal pilot in command of the vessel at the time of the incident?

If so it's awfully hard to blame Evergreen.
    The pilot is NEVER "in command" of the vessel. The master (Captain) is always the one in control, he's in charge and has the command of the vessel. And don't forget, he;s in charge of the crew as well...the crew includes the helmsman.

Pilot's are hired (compulsory) for their local knowledge and expertise in the confined waterway. Pilot's speak the local language, they know the narrows, the shallows, the prevailing winds and currents. Imagine if a Chinese ship were meeting a Russian ship in a narrow water way and trying to communicate. Instead there is a local pilot on each vessel and they conduct all the radio comms. Pilots are basically valet for vessels. They know what to say, where to go and where not to go. They provide this knowledge throughout the route for which they are hired. You'd be surprised at how many accidents pilots prevent. It's unfathomable.
    But they are never in control or in command or in charge.

This is not to say they have no responsibility. But the master and his hiring company or seafarers union own the brunt of the responsibility of most accidents.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    The pilot is NEVER "in command" of the vessel. The master (Captain) is always the one in control, he's in charge and has the command of the vessel. And don't forget, he;s in charge of the crew as well...the crew includes the helmsman.

Pilot's are hired (compulsory) for their local knowledge and expertise in the confined waterway. Pilot's speak the local language, they know the narrows, the shallows, the prevailing winds and currents. Imagine if a Chinese ship were meeting a Russian ship in a narrow water way and trying to communicate. Instead there is a local pilot on each vessel and they conduct all the radio comms. Pilots are basically valet for vessels. They know what to say, where to go and where not to go. They provide this knowledge throughout the route for which they are hired. You'd be surprised at how many accidents pilots prevent. It's unfathomable.
    But they are never in control or in command or in charge.

This is not to say they have no responsibility. But the master and his hiring company or seafarers union own the brunt of the responsibility of most accidents.
    Gotcha, he's the tour guide. Didn't know how it worked other than you had to have the pilot aboard, I thought he essentially assumed command for the passage. Thanks.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345