Back in 1997, I bought a brand-new Colt Python, blued, 4 inch barrel. I hesitated between the 4 and 6 inch barrel, and since I already had a 6 inch Smith & Wesson, I decided to get the 4 inch.

Maybe also the influence of some movies and television series such as Magnum Force and Starsky and Hutch, where David Soul uses a blued 4 inch Python, and a French movie aptly called Police Python 357.

However the nagging feeling that I really like the 6 inch never left me.

Two weeks ago I was visiting the LGS to pick up a little Ruger 10/22 I had bought. It is the same LGS who has a beautiful Dan Wesson with four barrels which I covet but that has been reserved by another customer who hasn’t yet paid it or even shown up in three months.

As I pestered him to sell me the DW (he won’t, yet), I roamed around checking the new arrivals while he was labelling them. Lots of nice stuff.

And then ... Pythons, several of them, nickel 4,6,8 inch and a pair of blued 6&8 inch. Price $ 2075 for any of them

I asked if he would sell me a Python for the price of the DW ($ 1550). No way Jose, however after a bit of haggling he agreed on $ 1800. And thinking that I paid the new one $ 750 in 1997, oh well.

This one was made in 1977 and spent most of its life on a shelf at a collectors home. Really a beautiful firearm with the typical deep blueing, looks like liquid metal.

It did not take long before I took it to the range

25 m indoor with full magnums

25 m outdoors with 38 special wad cutters

The blued pair

The 4 inch pair