Thread: Colt Python

Feedback Score

Colt Python

Back in 1997, I bought a brand-new Colt Python, blued, 4 inch barrel. I hesitated between the 4 and 6 inch barrel, and since I already had a 6 inch Smith & Wesson, I decided to get the 4 inch.

Maybe also the influence of some movies and television series such as Magnum Force and Starsky and Hutch, where David Soul uses a blued 4 inch Python, and a French movie aptly called Police Python 357.

However the nagging feeling that I really like the 6 inch never left me.

Two weeks ago I was visiting the LGS to pick up a little Ruger 10/22 I had bought. It is the same LGS who has a beautiful Dan Wesson with four barrels which I covet but that has been reserved by another customer who hasn’t yet paid it or even shown up in three months.

As I pestered him to sell me the DW (he won’t, yet), I roamed around checking the new arrivals while he was labelling them. Lots of nice stuff.

And then ... Pythons, several of them, nickel 4,6,8 inch and a pair of blued 6&8 inch. Price $ 2075 for any of them

I asked if he would sell me a Python for the price of the DW ($ 1550). No way Jose, however after a bit of haggling he agreed on $ 1800. And thinking that I paid the new one $ 750 in 1997, oh well.

This one was made in 1977 and spent most of its life on a shelf at a collectors home. Really a beautiful firearm with the typical deep blueing, looks like liquid metal.

It did not take long before I took it to the range

25 m indoor with full magnums

25 m outdoors with 38 special wad cutters

The blued pair

The 4 inch pair

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Crazy that those things would be $3500 and up here in the US now... Congratulations on the gorgeous new purchase. Your collection probably rivals the LGS at this point, I'd imagine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Crazy that those things would be $3500 and up here in the US now... Congratulations on the gorgeous new purchase. Your collection probably rivals the LGS at this point, I'd imagine.
    Well he’s selling all the good stuff so ...

Feedback Score
    Ha! I like Eastwood, but he looks foolish with that grip.