Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHF Nitride barrel?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

CHF Nitride barrel?

What do you guys think about this? I ask, because I had a coupon with Geissele and ordered an 11.5 complete pistol from them. I didn’t realize it but I guess they offer a CHF chrome lined version and a CHF nitride barrel version.

I bought the nitride barrel and didn’t realize because I thought they only did chrome lined for those. I guess this is a new option. Seems like the barrel specs and profile are identical minus the treatment process. They probably can do the nitride for a lot cheaper but both guns cost the same.

I’ll probably be shooting this suppressed so I wonder about heat. This is where chrome lined really shines obviously. Is nitride good enough for suppressed applications?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...170&highlight=
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Criterion claims 15,000-20,000, and they are a very trustworthy source. I just asked the ammo nerd in my shooting group how much he has loaded for me in 2020, and we guesstimate that my primary 11.3” Hanson barrel probably did about 10,000-12,000 since I’ve owned it, and I bought it used on the EE here. Some of that was full auto, and almost all of it was full power 5.56 on par with M855. Suppressed. It is still going, although it’s moved to backup status, and will spend much of the rest of its life unsuppressed. I’ll chrono it again soon.

The real answer is it depends on barrel steel, barrel contour, and rate of fire, but it will cost many thousands of dollars in ammo to find out. About $3,600 in pre-Rona pricing before we MIGHT see a difference. For most shooters, a high-quality nitride barrel will last a very long time.

I’m not seeing a flurry of posts in here about “I wore out my nitride barrel in X number of rounds, and here’s a pic!” I wonder why that might be?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Cannot believe "G" offers a choice of finishes but I guess since they don't make barrels it doesn't matter to them what you are willing to pay for. In the end the life/cost of a barrel is nothing compared to the cost of the ammunition it takes to wear it out. This subject is much about nothing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Cannot believe "G" offers a choice of finishes but I guess since they don't make barrels it doesn't matter to them what you are willing to pay for. In the end the life/cost of a barrel is nothing compared to the cost of the ammunition it takes to wear it out. This subject is much about nothing.
    ??? They do make their own barrels. They bought forges and do their own CHF barrels.

But yea, check it out.

https://geissele.com/super-duty-pist...a-black-4.html

https://geissele.com/super-duty-pist...una-black.html

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    What do you guys think about this? I ask, because I had a coupon with Geissele and ordered an 11.5 complete pistol from them. I didn’t realize it but I guess they offer a CHF chrome lined version and a CHF nitride barrel version.

I bought the nitride barrel and didn’t realize because I thought they only did chrome lined for those. I guess this is a new option. Seems like the barrel specs and profile are identical minus the treatment process. They probably can do the nitride for a lot cheaper but both guns cost the same.

I’ll probably be shooting this suppressed so I wonder about heat. This is where chrome lined really shines obviously. Is nitride good enough for suppressed applications?
    Chrome lining is done address erosion, not heat. You will spend a fortune in ammo before your nitride barrel is shot out. I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Reference thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...t=#post2154035\

This is the barrel log for a National Match AR with a nitrided Shilen barrel done by Bamban's Barrel Barn in Austin. Nez (the barrel maker) said it had just shot a very good score at 600 yards, but he wanted it back to see what kind of longevity it might have left.

He said the barrel had minimal throat wear and could probably go another 5,000 rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Cannot believe "G" offers a choice of finishes but I guess since they don't make barrels
    This is one persistent lie you have bud. I see it all over Reddit, didn't expect to see it here. SMH

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fairly sure these are nitrided, but didn't catch it in the video. Does have the bore/chamber hammer forging along with exterior machining.

Feedback Score
    The destructive tests between gov profile 4150 CMV chrome lined and 4150 CMV nitride are inconclusive.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    This is kind of like a glock vs 1911 subject.

I can say without reservation that the glock is more practical and more economical choice for a duty weapon. I still love me some 1911.

Nitride is a more practical and economical choice for treating barrels. I still love me some chrome.

Logically (unless you meet some rather narrow criteria) nitride will serve you just as well, last just as long, and save you a little money. It makes some small amount of sense for our military to stay with chrome, but in truth it wouldn't really matter much if chrome lining went the way of the flintlock.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast