Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CHF Nitride barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Pretty much my reasoning. I'm not storming an NVA bunker line in the jungle, shooting at Muj on a distant hillside, or hitting the beach at Normandy. If I can spend a little more $$$ to know I've got a top-quality piece of kit then I have no problem doing so, and in fact prefer to do so.

To others: YMMV. It's a free country, buy what you want! Choice is a good thing.
    Same here and why I do not see the 'need' for chrome on everything.

With very few exceptions most any of my non-chrome AR type barrels are much more accurate than the chrome lined ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Whats so funny is that if you ask the forums for barrel advice; you get this institutional dogma of an answer. "CHF chrome line or its bunk"

I was talking to a gun builder recently that is looking to get barrels rolled for him by a really good barrel manufacturer. He said he sat down with the manufacturer and asked like every single question about making barrels that he could think of. The two biggest take aways was that:

"CHF has a tremendous initial investment; but once the machine is rolling, barrels are much easier to make. THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT THE PROCESS THAT MAKES A BETTER BARREL. PERIOD."

and that...

"Chrome is a much more imperfect process that is likely to leave cracks and blemishes in the bore. Chrome doesn't even win on a full auto gun either. Not even at environmental resistance. Chrome has zero actual advantages to a nitride barrel. None."

In my own experience my nitride barrels are incredible shooters. I'm not throwing out my CHF chrome tubes; I just don't think they are "top kit" anymore.
    My only question is did that "really good barrel manufacturer" even offer chrome lining as an option?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Same here and why I do not see the 'need' for chrome on everything.

With very few exceptions most any of my non-chrome AR type barrels are much more accurate than the chrome lined ones.
    Need or want are two different things. I want it so I'll seek that product out.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just realized that 3/4 of my small collection of 5.56 AR rifles/carbines have chrome/phosphate barrels. I find it ironic because I really don't care about chrome vs nitride.

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    My only question is did that "really good barrel manufacturer" even offer chrome lining as an option?
    Criterion does, but they are probably not considered "really good barrels" by demanding shooters. At the same time, really demanding shooters will probably lean toward stainless barrels, which are not easy to chrome line.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 04-03-21 at 16:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Criterion does, but they are probably not considered "really good barrels" by demanding shooters. At the same time, really demanding shooters will probably lean toward stainless barrels, which are not easy to chrome line.

Andy
    Criterion makes some damn good chrome lined M14 barrels; in fact, from what I've read they are superior to 60yo USGI barrels. I wouldn't turn my nose up at an AR barrel from them either. I'm not cheap but I'm easy!

They are also the ones I mentioned earlier that make the chrome lined M1 Carbine barrel, but it's only available through Fulton Armory and they've been out of stock forever.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 04-03-21 at 18:00.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234