Thread: Gas Mask ??

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Gas Mask ??

Hey guys and gals, was looking into gas mask for the family. Does anyone have recommendations or criteria I should consider before buying the family gas mask.

Many thanks in advance.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mira safety, protection for young children is scarce though. Also you will need spare filters, Mira filters are expensive but have a 20 year shelf life, most filters are only good for 5 years and the older M40 US military filters will poison you after they get old.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-27-21 at 18:42.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My youngest is 22, so maybe my post was misleading.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just received my Mira Safety CM7M and it's awesome. If you buy a mask and filter they give you a 'package discount.'

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Mira safety, protection for young children is scarce though. Also you will need spare filters, Mira filters are expensive but have a 20 year shelf life, most filters are only good for 5 years and the older M40 US military filters will poison you after they get old.
    A little off here...

The ORIGINAL C2 filters- marked "C2" NOT c2A1 were said to have the POSSIBILITY of "chromium toxicity." This claim came by a Johnny Come Lately company that popped up around 9/11 selling gas masks that had some other really misleading and untrue info on their website.

You'd be hard pressed to find original "C2" filters any more (last made early 2000's IIRC). Some of the newer C2A1s in the plastic container (newer) would be o.k. but getting probably getting harder to find them as well.

So not only was the "chromium toxicity" a blown up bunch of crap, it really wouldn't matter much at this point due to the age of the filters themselves.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    A little off here...

The ORIGINAL C2 filters- marked "C2" NOT c2A1 were said to have the POSSIBILITY of "chromium toxicity." This claim came by a Johnny Come Lately company that popped up around 9/11 selling gas masks that had some other really misleading and untrue info on their website.

You'd be hard pressed to find original "C2" filters any more (last made early 2000's IIRC). Some of the newer C2A1s in the plastic container (newer) would be o.k. but getting probably getting harder to find them as well.

So not only was the "chromium toxicity" a blown up bunch of crap, it really wouldn't matter much at this point due to the age of the filters themselves.
    Thanks Lowdown3 for clarification.

PB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don’t know much about the commercial market but our standard issue is now the Avon C50 I think and I actually really like it. Works very well and I have no complaints, and I’ve spent some time in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Lot of folks aren't very good with masks, IME, at least with SCBA, especially once you introduce any kind of physical activity. There's also the issue of fit testing, and knowing how to properly don the mask. Beyond that, there's the question of what you want to do with it. Lot of pro masks can interfere with cheek weld, and you'll want to have a high mount for your optic to use it (or make do with a laser). There's also the issue of optical shifts; I was told that there were folks doing CBRN stuff back in the day that loved the huge FOV that the MSA Millenniums offered... until they realized how much of a zero shift they would experience with the mask on due to the optical issues of having a huge curved lens.

Money no object, Airboss LBM, Avon 50 series, or Avon 53 series.

I am leery of Mira, given their lack of track record with credible agency entities, and some strangeness in their marketing (e.g., their claim that they are a manufacturer, when they're actually just an exclusive distributor, or how some of the folks they list of employees don't list Mira as an employer on their LinkedIn). Just stick with Scott or MSA if you can't afford Avon or Airboss money, IMO. On something like live-saving PPE, such as a pro mask or armor, why take the chance? This is one of those things where if you need it, you abso-****ing-lutely need it to function correctly, and there's no real way to actually test out the PPE properly prior to it being needed.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 03-30-21 at 00:05.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Tagged for interest.