Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Light 55gr / Max 69gr

Feedback Score

AR15 Light 55gr / Max 69gr

I'm trying to plan handloads for some 3 gun matches with an 18" M4. I think I want to have a cheap, light recoiling 55 gr FMJ load for close ranges and a max pressure load for distance with 69 grain match bullets. From what load development I have done, I think I can work out close points of impact at 50 yards.

Do yall have any similar loading strategies for 3 gun you would like to share with a beginner to competing?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For close-in inexpensive ammo, I use 24.5 gr TAC with a 55 gr. Hornady either SP or FMJ. My rifles are zeroed for a 62 gr. load for distance so I can't help you with your 69'er. I will say that I like 8208 XBR for accuracy at long range, tho.

Feedback Score
    I loaded a couple hundred rounds of 25.0 gr TAC with 55 gr FMJ, and it had enough punch to make it challenging to get two quick shots in a small circle. So I have been experimenting with different loads to get it as low as I can without malfunctioning.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    I loaded a couple hundred rounds of 25.0 gr TAC with 55 gr FMJ, and it had enough punch to make it challenging to get two quick shots in a small circle. So I have been experimenting with different loads to get it as low as I can without malfunctioning.
    How small a circle?

Feedback Score
    A six inch circle at 25 yards. Shooting off hand standing trying to double tap. I can get em in there, but I think it could be easier with a super light load.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    ... and a max pressure load for distance with 69 grain match bullets.
    Why 69gr?

AFAIK, if you're shooting inside 500 or 600yds, lighter bullets shoot flatter...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Why 69gr?

AFAIK, if you're shooting inside 500 or 600yds, lighter bullets shoot flatter...
    Good question haha. I found early on that 77 and 69 grain bullets shot the best groups, but they may be because they were better quality bullets than my 55 FMJs. What I need to do is get some premium 55s and 62s to see if they group well. But I have a 1:7 twist, so I just assumed bigger would be better.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Why 69gr?

No.

1. Heavy bullets are less effected by wind at distance.

2. The over all trajectory of a heavier bullet at distance is much narrower than a light, fast load. This is why snipers don’t shoot m80 ball and use 168-175 grain. Aside from obvious billet construction/design. Anyone shooting light rounds for competition at distance has no idea what they’re doing or like to turn money into noise. Go to any 556 oriented match and you’ll see almost no one serious shooting 55gr at 400+.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    ... you’ll see almost no one serious shooting 55gr at 400+.
    I think you (GGammell) and I are actually agreeing...

I'm saying lighter bullets (60-62gr?) shoot flatter inside 500yds, and you're saying nobody would shoot 55gr at 400+.

The OP never said what he means by "for distance."

If he means ≤300yds, then lighter (55-62gr) would have less drop and wind drift.

If he means ≥500yds, then 69gr or heavier would be better.

Feedback Score
    I think you (GGammell) and I are actually agreeing...

I'm saying lighter bullets (60-62gr?) shoot flatter inside 500yds, and you're saying nobody would shoot 55gr at 400+.

The OP never said what he means by "for distance."

If he means ≤300yds, then lighter (55-62gr) would have less drop and wind drift.

If he means ≥500yds, then 69gr or heavier would be better.
    It remains to be seen what distances I will be using all this for. It just depends on where I decide to travel from Cleveland, TN. My local 3 gun match only has short ranges less than 100 yards. I am just trying to plan ahead because I want to make several hundred rounds now. I am thinking 400 yards or less would suffice, so maybe 69 grains isn't necessary, but they still group great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast