Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 Light 55gr / Max 69gr

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    It remains to be seen what distances I will be using all this for. It just depends on where I decide to travel from Cleveland, TN. My local 3 gun match only has short ranges less than 100 yards. I am just trying to plan ahead because I want to make several hundred rounds now. I am thinking 400 yards or less would suffice, so maybe 69 grains isn't necessary, but they still group great.
    With shots inside 100, you could zero with a 69 and shoot 55
    On the close up stages and see almost no difference if you’re using ipsc style targets. That’s how I run my match gun.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I shoot full-power 5.56 68s whenever I plan on shooting past 300yds, and FMJ 62s loaded just a little lighter for close range blasting. They have the same POI at 200 and close enough at 300.

There’s an article out there of a dude that matches 77s and 55s for 3 gun.

Your idea is acheivable. Whether or not it will work out the way you are thinking, you’ll have to play with it a bit, but I think it might.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    With shots inside 100, you could zero with a 69 and shoot 55
    On the close up stages and see almost no difference if you’re using ipsc style targets. That’s how I run my match gun.
    Thanks for the input.

I figured out i can zero the 69s at 50 or 200 yards, and the BDC reticle marks work out to 300,400,500. The 55s shoot practically flat on that same zero, so it looks like I can swap back and forth.

This is for a 69 SMK going 2,680 fps according to Strelok Pro.

CR1, Citadel 1-10x24, Sightmark.png
    Last edited by TNTall; 03-29-21 at 14:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post

Do yall have any similar loading strategies for 3 gun you would like to share with a beginner to competing?
    I pick one load and try my best to stick to it. I also load very stout loads for competition. I would also never choose a load because it is light recoiling. For example: the lightest recoiling ammo I have subjectively put through my gun was tula 55gr (surprised?). My 77gr 2700 FPS from a 16" barrel hand load is also very light recoiling. My hypothesis is that the bullet weight and powder combo I am using has a nice pressure curve from the 'recoil' perspective. One load that was a jack hammer? M193. Again I think this simply goes back to the pressure curve affecting perceived recoil more than the actual FPS or weight of the projectile (incredibly minimal in .224 caliber).

Honestly as a new shooter; worrying about your splits and perceived recoil is kinda point less. Things like stage choreography, follow up shots, and the reverse kneel are gonna actually shave time off your results. It's really easy to shoot a drill and measure your splits between two targets. In a real stage you have 20-30 targets and your trying to maintain accuracy while also handling the mental checklist in your brain. Trigger finger speed is NEVER the reason my friends beat me.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12