Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yup, people are getting dumber

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    That's a fair point. A proff had made that comment that those with schizophrenia tended to have higher IQs. Can't say I looked into it much. There appears to be some sub set issues within the IQ topic. I found this and thought it was interesting:

"IN the case of discordant identical twins (one twin has it, the other does not), the IQ of the affected twin tends to be lower- by about 10 points- . BUT,

(1) if the unaffected twin has an IQ of 160, then the affected one will have an IQ of 150, which is still brilliant
    (2) this is an old finding.

We also know that active episodes of schizophrenia are bad for the brain and destroy nerve cells

Because we now have medications which may prevent future episodes (and thereby protect the brain from degeneration), this lowering of IQ may possibly be prevented."

- TED Saks is a USC law professor who also has schizophrenia

Some interesting discussion also:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...tential-genius

End of the day, my comment may simply be wrong, not sure now, but it appears there's a lot moving parts to that topic.
    Thanks for the input.

I think there's a fair assumption to say there's some correlation: Einstein's son, a physician; John Nash (he of "A beautiful Mind"); a crap-ton of famous musicians and writers. What I'd be interested in knowing, is the link to mental illness with which part of the brain is dominant vs IQ. You are right, a lot of moving parts.

Again, immaterial to me, really, just interested.

Regarding IQ, I have been working with an officer in Air Force special warfare assessment and selection (former PJ, now a combat rescue officer), who was tasked with assessing candidate's potential based on intelligence. He told me they have moved away from that--the ASVAB scores are good enough to predict technical intelligence--and have moved into assess emotional intelligence. He has been sharing some data and resources with me as I look into the same at my organization.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I think there's a fair assumption to say there's some correlation: Einstein's son, a physician; John Nash (he of "A beautiful Mind"); a crap-ton of famous musicians and writers. What I'd be interested in knowing, is the link to mental illness with which part of the brain is dominant vs IQ. You are right, a lot of moving parts.

Again, immaterial to me, really, just interested.

Regarding IQ, I have been working with an officer in Air Force special warfare assessment and selection (former PJ, now a combat rescue officer), who was tasked with assessing candidate's potential based on intelligence. He told me they have moved away from that--the ASVAB scores are good enough to predict technical intelligence--and have moved into assess emotional intelligence. He has been sharing some data and resources with me as I look into the same at my organization.
    A balanced well rounded mind, should probably be tested on IQ, Emotional, and Global Intelligence scale perhaps:

https://psychologydictionary.org/global-intelligence/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I ran across this article and thought of this thread. Here is how some of the brainiest people ever stake up. Einstein isn’t even close to the top, but who knows for sure since he was never tested.

The 10 Highest IQs in History
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I ran across this article and thought of this thread. Here is how some of the brainiest people ever stake up. Einstein isn’t even close to the top, but who knows for sure since he was never tested.

The 10 Highest IQs in History
    If the weird tests I've taken are the standard, I would say it's mostly figuring out established patterns/rules. Innovators and those who break new trails in science and technology are not necessarily smarter, but their thinking is not bound by those established patterns and rules.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Runaway gun
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 04-10-21 at 07:37.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thepatriot2705 View Post
    I have a side hustle at an auto parts store. Young girl just called up. “My brake light came up, what does that mean?”
    Me: you need brake fluid ASAP, stop as a gas station and get some. Girl: I don’t know where to put it. Me: you can google it. Girl: I don’t wanna **** up my car. Me: there’s a cap that says brake fluid.

People have zero interest in learning how to do anything despite having a smart phone connected to the internet
    I picked up a pretty impressive chunk of metal in a tire right before I parked at work this week. One of my direct reports was fascinated watching me swap it - she said she knew you changed a tire when it was flat but had never seen someone do it before.

City folk...

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Runaway gun
    Check fire, check fire..... break that belt!!!!!!!
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    A guy could cure cancer, but if he can't play nice with others, communicate a thought worth a damn, read a room, give a presentation, then his worth is limited.
    Curing cancer doesn't sound very limited to me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345