Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S & W 500

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I shot a 460 years ago, but it was much longer (10"??) with a more substantial brake. It definitely had some serious recoil also. Easily as much as the 500. Lighter but faster bullets.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I shot a 500 years back. I remember the recoil to be impressive but not painful. I actually found to to be more comfortable than my friends 6 inch S&W 629. It definitely recoiled more but was less painful to the palm of my hand.

Ive heard that the 460 has worse recoil.
    I briefly owned a 460V (5" bbl). Recoil with 335 grain Ruger Only loads was not nearly as bad as full power 440ish grain .500 rounds. The 460V did have a full length underlug barrel, though, so it wasn't exactly a lightweight. I'd expect light 350 grain .500 loads to be more comparable to the .460.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Somewhere in America, somebody is using a .500 for EDC urban concealed carry.

Feedback Score
    I'd fire one for the experience but a Redhawk firing standard factory .44 mag 240 gr and trying to get good hits is challenge enough for me.

If I wanted to hunt with a handgun and wanted more power than a hot .357 mag or 10mm a scoped .44 mag is probably what I'd go with.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    When my son was about 10 yrs old I took him to the range to shoot for his birthday, when we got there he saw an MP5. He blurts out "nothing says happy birthday like a full auto MP5". So I rented it and proceeded to go bang bang. There was a group of bikers right next to us salivating at the MP5, so I sad, give it a whirl.

He repaid the favor with a short barrel 500, maybe 4 inches. I shot a full house load that when I shot it, I busted out laughing as I rocked backward. It pushed my entire body backward, amazing. But I think the 44 mag featherweight hurt my hands more. That bear gun felt like getting a hammer to the hands. Just brutal, I ran a mag and sat there thinking WTF just happened. Maybe I was more prepared for the 500 but that 44 was crazy. If you even get a chance to shoot that scandium frame, do it just grins and the experince.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Somewhere in America, somebody is using a .500 for EDC urban concealed carry.
    Obviously, if one is going to carry a short barreled 500 they're going to need a couple of these for a reload.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co.../speed-loaders

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Obviously, if one is going to carry a short barreled 500 they're going to need a couple of these for a reload.

I wonder what Miculek's reloads and splits would look like with that beast.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I don't know if even the mighty Jerry would want to fast double action and then reload and to it again with a 500, but then it would definitely be cool if he went for it.

Feedback Score
    Maybe Jerry's 500 would be cut for moonclips.....

Here is a match conducted with the Emergency Model 500. There are quite a few of rings of fire caught in the footage:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast