Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for armor rated for SS109 M855 green tip...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Not to be a dick, but if your gonna wear plates why would you stop short of level IV esapi? YMMV, but I'm not. What you're willing to die for a dude up for packing a .30 cal, but not for the masses hauling 5.56? I realize "percentage of incidence" and all but yeah I'll take the weight.
    Lighter and/or thinner plates provide better mobility and impinge on shooting ability less, which in itself adds to survivability.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by win&legend View Post
    Sounds like your looking for Level III+ Poly's, Cermics or hybrids. Under no circumstance should you ever use AR500 body armor regardless of how much buildup coating is on them. Steel plates are not recommended for anything but target use (ringing steel).
    Thank you for this! That is great info.

I actually was thinking of some steel armor.

Even though this is for civilian use (as soldier it was this is what is issued & that's it) I would feel awful if a round ricocheted off me into someone else.

TED

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Forum seller JRH Enterprises sells the Shot Stop plates.
    They have been game changers for me in terms of weight/comfort and threat level.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Bizarro double tap.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Not to be a dick, but if your gonna wear plates why would you stop short of level IV esapi? YMMV, but I'm not. What you're willing to die for a dude up for packing a .30 cal, but not for the masses hauling 5.56? I realize "percentage of incidence" and all but yeah I'll take the weight.
    Cheap ones are literally 2x the plate. I prefer to keep a small profile and light weight, and maximize maneuverability while defeating 90% of the threats. It's all personal preference based on what you expect I guess. Fitness comes in too.

Honestly, if cost is not an option, hesco 4800lv.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-31-21 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    OK I understand the argument for lighter... I guess. You do you.

I run an Eagle SPC with Ceradyne ESAPI swimmers can't say I feel burdened or limited, but it's what I'm used to. Could be I'm draggin weight I don't need.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    Thank you for this! That is great info.

I actually was thinking of some steel armor.

Even though this is for civilian use (as soldier it was this is what is issued & that's it) I would feel awful if a round ricocheted off me into someone else.

TED
    Don't worry about bullets ricocheting off you and hitting someone else. Worry about the spalling coming up and perforating your throat. Also, steel plates are easily defeated by 55gr fmj from a 18/20" barrel. And m855 goes through UHMWPE like its not even there. Pay extra fro ceramic, its lighter and stronger. And a high quality lvl IV plate very well be lighter than a cheap lvlIII or III+

Feedback Score
    What is the lightest, quality, and "comfortable" plates to stop 30.06 AP ("black tip")? I guess that is roughly, what, Level IV or ESAPI resistance?

Don't want to say that cost is not an object, but performance would be my key concern.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Double Tap
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    What is the lightest, quality, and "comfortable" plates to stop 30.06 AP ("black tip")? I guess that is roughly, what, Level IV or ESAPI resistance?

Don't want to say that cost is not an object, but performance would be my key concern.
    As i understand it: Level IV is an NIJ (civilian) rating tested for 30.06 AP. SAPI is a military plate which essentially meets the same rating. ESAPI is an enhanced SAPI design which in combination with a soft armor vest has the potential (not a guarantee) to resist more than one hit with 30.06 AP. Not a highly likely scenario, but ...

ETA: ESAPI is also supposed to be tested to a higher level of abuse (drops, general abuse) but I'm not sure what metrics are involved.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 04-01-21 at 20:51.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast